Problem during start-up

Glenda

I have XP home edition. Last week it locked up -I shut it down abnormally. Now when it starts up it wants to go through a scan every time. It comes to a point where it finishes all 3 steps and just sits there and does nothing. So now when it starts and it tries to do it, I hit a key to go straight through. This makes me very nervous about restarting it.

Will system restore fix this problem? I do not want to chance a melt down.

Edited by Glenda

I have tried scan disk, it will not go through the process under normal mode. I have tried to restore to several points and it would not restore. There is a place to type in a restore point, but I am not sure what it wants -just a date or some other info.

Somehow it may have lost critical info during the shut down.

I wonder if the scan will work in safe mode.

I am not having any problems with any programs. Perhaps I should not be concerned. If I catch it within 10 seconds and hit a key, it has started thus far. Or will it get to a point where it will not/

Run CHKDSK in Command Prompt for the spefic drive......If it's not possible to check disk from Windows (GUI) ....press Y to shedule this for next reboot........complete the scanning and your system will be gone for onc restart and get back to normal.

BTW, you can also run chkdsk from the recovery console. Pop in your xp cd and go into the recovery console. Enter your admin password and enter the number for the drive that you want to check. Type chkdsk /f /r.

Run CHKDSK in Command Prompt for the spefic drive......If it's not possible to check disk from Windows (GUI) ....press Y to shedule this for next reboot........complete the scanning and your system will be gone for onc restart and get back to normal.

I so appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!

I am not as smart as I look. OK command prompt from safe mode, right? Then if it refuses, at the command prompt is there a Y that I select that will take it directly to the scan process when I restart? What is Windows (GUI)?

What do you mean when you say my system will be gone?

I am in the middle of a big project -is this a risky process?

Here's what you have to do:

cmdla6.jpg

You don't have to be in safemode to run this.

What he means by "gone" is that when you reboot, it will run chkdsk and you can't use it since you wont be in windows. That's all.

Edited by CptMurphy

CptMurphy

How do I get this sample screen? Is that the option to press F2 or F12 while it is starting up. Or is it the option Command Prompt under accessories. I am embarrassed that I don't know this.

Will the screen go away once the scan has been completed -whether it is manual or on the next start-up?

I have XP home edition. Last week it locked up -I shut it down abnormally. Now when it starts up it wants to go through a scan every time. It comes to a point where it finishes all 3 steps and just sits there and does nothing. So now when it starts and it tries to do it, I hit a key to go straight through. This makes me very nervous about restarting it.

The first time I ran on the command prompt, I accidentally ran in read only. It said, "correcting error in index $SII for file 9" error found cannot continue in read only.

OK I then I did it right and chose Y so it would scan on next start-up and it went to a scan disk screen, which is what it always does when I restart.

Before I began asking the questions on this forum I let it go through the entire sequence. when it is done, it just hangs there with a underscore cursor. It says it has completed the 3 steps, but just sits. If it indicates that it is finished what is it doing when it sits for several minutes? Will it eventually give me another prompt or eventually morph out of that screen and continue to load windows? How long shall I wait? Or is there something wrong that scandisk will not fix. Is that why it hangs there?

Thank you all for your help.

During the scan, it said 100% complete, so I thought it was finished and would shut down. The last time I waited and it went on to other sequences that took over an hour.

I just wasn't waiting long enough.