HELP! Computer won't boot

olobay

Hi,

I am very stuck. This is my problem. My computer would not boot. I did a repair installation of my XP. After the first setup when setup is copying files, we switch to the Windows installationpart. Once it goes to the Windows installation part, the installing devices part, it stops at 34 minutes remaining, after it installs my monitor driver I'm assuming because my monitor flickers for a couple of seconds before coming back stable, and then the hard drive stops working and my cd stops spinning and my progress bar stops at about 3/4 of the way with 34 minutes approximately remaining.

I tried chkdsk, fixboot and fixmbr. Didn't work. I don't think I have a virus or spyware/malware. I scan my computer weekly and I have NOD32 anti-virus with Zone Alarm firewall. I also have System Mechanic.

My computer is a P4 1.6 with 768mb RAM running XP SP2 with all the latest updates.

My computer went from working fine one day to nto being able to boot up overnight. When my computer boots up now, the Windows logo shows up and then it goes to the blue Windows screen and says setup is now starting or something like that. Then it does everything until the 34 minutes remaining part I mentioned above. I was wondering if there was a way to remove this setup. Windows remembers that setup never completed. Is there a way to rermove this memory somehow?

Does anyone have any help for me please?

You're going to have to remove all non-essential parts from your system and see what the problem is. In you have onboard sound and video, switch to them and pull out the sound and video card. If you have two optical drives and/or harddrives, pull out one of each, leaving the master on. Sounds like some bad hardware is causing setup to get stuck.

Thanks for the response. I do have a second hard drive. I will remove it and try again. I also have 2 network card, one of which is disabled but I will remove it too. I will try it tonight. Thanks again.

Is there a way to get Windows to stop going into setup mode?

Edited by olobay

Thank you CptMurphy!! I disconnected my 2nd hard drive and unplugged my 2nd ethernet card and lo and behold, it worked. The setup completed. I am very happy. Thank you a million times!!

One problem solved, another one appears. This is my problem now. I cannot get Windows Update to work. I get the following message: Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. I have tried the Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended) that Windows Update gives you but that didn't work. I did a search and found this:

1. Click Start.

2. Choose Run.

3. Type or use cut & past to enter each of the following in the Run Box.

(enter them one at a time & pressing OK after each one)

net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

regsvr32 MSXML.dll

regsvr32 MSXML2.dll

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll

regsvr32 qmgr.dll

regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

This did not solve my problem. I also read on the internet that the MSXML3.dll file could become corrupted. I deleted that and downloaded the file from Microsoft but I still can't update. Any ideas? Should I post this in a new topic?

Thanks.