Need help in creating a rule

halluc1nati0n

I need to have this rule in my Outloook

i) People from *@abcd.com

ii) People from a distribution list

Mails from these matching scenarios must be delivered to a separate folder ..

But I'm facing problems in creating the rule..

The (ii) part is OK.

But I'm not able to figure out the first part..

Please help! :unsure:

Ok, go to tools>rules and alerts>new rule>select start from a blank rule>next>scroll down the step 1 box until you see "with specific words in the sender's address" and check it>in the step 2 box click the highlighted phrase "specific words">enter a domain name like @whoever.net and click add>next>check "move it to a specified folder" and then click the highlighted word like in the previous step>next(twice if you don't have any exceptions)>verify that the rules are how you want them and hit finish. You can also check run this rule now... but that's up to you.

The AND'ing only means that the e-mail will be moved when, and only when the stated conditions are met. So if you set up a rule to have e-mail from sent to a specific account, with a specified domain, and with the sender being in the address book, THEN move it to a folder.

If you want to have emails sent from a certain domain put in a specific folder, just do what I had posted earlier. If you want to have emails sent from certain users, it's better to create a distribution list. Then in the conditions dialog box, check the very first option, from people or distribution list, and select the list you just created.

I personally would rather keep rules simple. A simple AND, THEN thing.

So to recap, the AND simply means that if: condition 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 pass, THEN move it to the folder. If one of those conditions do not meet, than the email stays in the inbox. There's nothing wrong with making conditions, it let's you be specific in how you want your emails filed.

BTW: You should seperate your rules based on who or what group sends the emails and what folder they will goto. You don't really need to add "on this machine only". That would cause issues IMO.

Edited by CptMurphy