ASUS sucks (there is a pun in french)

Thauzar

8600GT that is I hope ;), or a 8600GTS (Would come close to the 7900GTS)

But that would not be as fast as your old 7900GTS, so I would take the cash and buy a 8800GTS for example...

yeah I guess he said GTS, cause i know I heard G and S and since it's only 8600GT or GTS....

but my old one was not a 7900 GTS but a GTO, it was the factory overclocked version of the GT

anyway, anything is better than no computer at all, was about to go there with an old GF2 just to get my rig back! (no, in fact i went to the gamestore and bought a Nintendo Wii)

Edited by Thauzar

What you get from ASUS really depends on what you buy. I've had mixed bag experiences with ASUS. I used to be a die-hard ASUS fan but recent bad experiences with certain products have made me more selective. I had trouble with two P5LD2 motherboards in a row, both seemingly because of a USB controller issue that caused it to halt mid-POSTing. Ironically I've purchased some of their most inexpensive motherboards ($65 CAD) and have had nothing but success.

I suppose since ASUS offers so many different models and is branched out into so many different categories, the law of averages must apply at some point and defects are bound to happen.

In recent years, I've moved to Foxconn for it's rock solid stability and long term reliability. You can't ask for more from the world's largest manufacturer.

In recent years, I've moved to Foxconn for it's rock solid stability and long term reliability. You can't ask for more from the world's largest manufacturer.

I agree with you there, only didn´t like there motherboards made for the Dell OptiPlex GX270; Blown southbridges and bad capasitors, 9 aside the CPU and 4 for the memory banks. For Video cards I sell 70% Foxconn, there nVidia 8x00 series have the best performance/price ratio I can get in Mexico...

i have had bad luck with biostar, gigabyte, a few msi's, some others...but i've always had good luck with asus boards. shipping conditions, user error, installation, things like that have a big part in faulty motherboards. 1 out of 10 rma's for asus boards...that would be horrible business for asus, i think thats a stretch of bad luck there or some install issues.

i've ran this asus p4pe overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3ghz since 2003ish i think, and i've never had a problem with it. it just depends on what you're buying. do some research on chipsets, controllers, etc before buying. if you are "unsure" of what you have then i wouldn't go blaming the manufacturer.

i've always recommended and used asus boards for my clients. never had any complaints ;)

i have had bad luck with biostar, gigabyte, a few msi's, some others...but i've always had good luck with asus boards. shipping conditions, user error, installation, things like that have a big part in faulty motherboards. 1 out of 10 rma's for asus boards...that would be horrible business for asus, i think thats a stretch of bad luck there or some install issues.

i've ran this asus p4pe overclocked from 2.4ghz to 3ghz since 2003ish i think, and i've never had a problem with it. it just depends on what you're buying. do some research on chipsets, controllers, etc before buying. if you are "unsure" of what you have then i wouldn't go blaming the manufacturer.

i've always recommended and used asus boards for my clients. never had any complaints ;)

Sometimes even if you research ASUS can still be blamed. ASUS has a cock up around the time they manufactured the P5LD2 motherboards and there is a known issue floating around the internet that some boards won't complete their POST due to something with the USB controller. The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that no one has found a way to pinpoint the exact cause, eventually resorting to simply swapping the motherboard for a new one. At a two hundred something price tag, the P5LD2 was no cheap. ASUS is bound to be held accountable for things like that.

Sometimes even if you research ASUS can still be blamed. ASUS has a cock up around the time they manufactured the P5LD2 motherboards and there is a known issue floating around the internet that some boards won't complete their POST due to something with the USB controller. The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that no one has found a way to pinpoint the exact cause, eventually resorting to simply swapping the motherboard for a new one. At a two hundred something price tag, the P5LD2 was no cheap. ASUS is bound to be held accountable for things like that.

when i say research i also mean to imply to not be the first one to "test" new products. if you know that a specific mother board has various problems (failing to post because of a faulty usb controller for example ;) ) then stay away from it. i always research the latest chipsets available then from there i check out different brands and models. all manufacturers have quality control issues, even the best suffer from the same shipping/storage/user error. i was just stating that asus has been good to me (more so than other brands) and its always better to let the other guy do the "testing" for you on the new and improved uber $300 board. :D

Edited by Griefage

when i say research i also mean to imply to not be the first one to "test" new products. if you know that a specific mother board has various problems (failing to post because of a faulty usb controller for example ;) ) then stay away from it. i always research the latest chipsets available then from there i check out different brands and models. all manufacturers have quality control issues, even the best suffer from the same shipping/storage/user error. i was just stating that asus has been good to me (more so than other brands) and its always better to let the other guy do the "testing" for you on the new and improved uber $300 board. :D

It mostly depends on what part of the wave you want to ride. I like to ride near the front of the wave without necessarily being at the point of it. Being cutting edge all the time, it's something to be expected. I just don't want to be riding the wave after it's passed for the sake of buying proven reliability.

• 2 months later...

Wow, it's not even 2 months since I got my computer back. Then, overnight, something happened and this morning I can't start it because I get BEEEEEP BEEP BEEP. 1 short and 2 long beeps, which means a video adapter problem. :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

I know it's not a powersurge because my comp was plugged to an APC ups and it still works fine. I've seen surged powerbars and they do not work and they smell burned, here is not the case.

Am I that unlucky? Is it possible that the new gfx I got in replacement of the old defect one, was defect too?