Display problem

toxic_97

I have a problem with my display, and I hope someone could help me out.

Since a couple of days, a few horizontal lines started appearing at random times on my monitor. They're very thin, perfectly horizantal, and they vibrate up and down, disappear and reappear from time to time. The lines are light grey, and sometimes white. My monitor was set to 800x600 resolution, with a 75Hz refresh rate (it's one of the recommended modes for my monitor). Since the lines started appearing, I've changed the refresh rate to 72Hz, to no avail.

I have some experience with computers, and I've dealt with a couple of problems before but I'm no expert, so please if you have any suggestions, don't speak in too difficult terms. I know how to open the case, recognize different parts, and replace cards and stuff, but nothing too technical.

Here is some information about my PC. If you need to know anything more, ask me.

- Pentium III, 1Ghz

- MSI GeForce FX5200 (model MS-8911), 128MB, I've had it for 2 years

- ViewSonic 15" CRT monitor (model E50-2), I've had it for 5-6 years.

- Windows XP Professional

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Edited by toxic_97

Have you got any way of using another monitor to see if it works OK with that. Im just saying because I had a monitor do a similar thing on a housemates PC and it was of a similar age.

Time to replace that screen I would say.

It´s a common problem with TVs and monitors, some times there are not only lines but also you could be missing a part of your visible-screen. In general it can be fixed by replacing the biggest IC, worth like 30 US$, in that screen but I would look for a replacement...

have you tried another computer on it or another monitor? the same thing happened to my friends monitor, we thought it was dead. then when i build him his new comp and hooked it up, the monitor was perfect! so apparently the older comps (pIII) video card was dying.