Making a previous HFSLIPped CD the source for a new, updated one !

thundernetbr

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before (I didn't found any topic about it - I do apologize if it was). But I think it's a waste of time if we have to rebuild a new HFSLIPped CD from the scratch every time M$ launches their hotfixes, or a newer DX version...

1. Is it possible to burn each month (at the time M$ launches the hotfixes) a newer, up-to-date HFSLIPped CD, using the previous one as a source ? Or do I have to pick all the hotfixes launched since the last OS Service Pack and rebuild all the CD from the scratch ?

2. For DirectX versions, is it also possible to only 're-slipstream' or 're-integrate' the newer one to a CD also using a previously HFSLIPped CD as the source ?

3. Can I proceed in the same way about WMP versions ? Particularly about W2K and WMP9, is there a way to replace an existing version of WMP9 (or WMP8) with the newest WMP9 version ?

4. How do I make a fully unattended HFSLIPped CD that can also be used to recover damaged installed OSes ? Because as long as I am aware of, if you use the string "FullyUnattended" somewhere at WINNT.SIF, you cannot use the same CD as a recovery tool...

Thank you all for your replies !

--ThundernetBR

4. How do I make a fully unattended HFSLIPped CD that can also be used to recover damaged installed OSes ? Because as long as I am aware of, if you use the string "FullyUnattended" somewhere at WINNT.SIF, you cannot use the same CD as a recovery tool...

I think there's a button you can press at the beginning of setup to enter recovery mode even when you have that switch defined in WINNT.SIF. If it doesn't work, then I'm afraid there isn't a way to make it fully unattended but still be able to run the recovery console. In HFSLIP, if you set INSTALLRC=1 in HFANSWER.INI, you can put the Recovery Console directly on the system when you install the OS. You'd probably be better off asking this in the Unattended forums.

For all of your other questions, please read TommyP's response.