Windows activation

At0mic

I need to re-install Windows XP on 80 computers and I'm getting really annoyed with having to spend 10 minutes on the Windows Activation hotline each time while they ask such questions as:

Did you buy your computer with windows pre-installed?

How many computers are you using with that product key?

Have you changed more than two pieces of hardware?

Have you changed the motherboard?

Its even more anoying when I have to speak to somebody and I have to try and convince them that I'm not doing anything illegal.

Its driving me insane I cant take much more of this. Every computer is legal and has its own COA sticker.

The last company I worked for had a VLK so I didn't have to go through all this. I know it would be illegal to use the VLK and CD from my previous job, but if we got investigated by somebody from Microsoft, would they be bothered about it?

Edited by At0mic

afaik there is no other legal way. Pretty sure you cannot use someone's vlk if you did you would be at risk & not only yourself but your company also.

btw Atomic is that photo of you in the avatar? If so you are a very beautiful lady.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

I need to re-install Windows XP on 80 computers and I'm getting really annoyed with having to spend 10 minutes on the Windows Activation hotline each time while they ask such questions as:

Why are you having to reinstall XP on that many PCs at once?

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=63258

If they are brand name PCs you can build an install CD for them. Activation disappears forever! Unless you bought 80 different home built PC's a few install CD's should cover the whole lot.

> if we got investigated by somebody from Microsoft

Would that investigation include clicking YES to the current WGA which collects your IP and CD Key? I'd keep those VLK inside the correct company and under the limit.

As long as you're not making system changes and just re-installing the OS to the same machine, isn't there a way to copy the activation status...? I thought I had read that here before but I may be mistaken.

There have been many posts regarding activation process here on this forum, I would search through those and maybe someone with more information on your type of situation can chime in.

As long as you're not making system changes and just re-installing the OS to the same machine, isn't there a way to copy the activation status...?

Yes, the "wba.dbl" backup:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/Win...Activation.html

but still you have to backup it for and restore it for every single machine, and it does not work in a number of cases see this detailed article:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

jaclaz