how do i stop this?

hakeem5454

everytime i leave my computer for about 10-15 mins, the screen goes black(normal), and then when i go to use it, i move the mouse and the desktop appears(normal), now the problem is..now when i leave the computer for about 15 mins it goes black but when i move the mouse the log in screen shows up and i have to click on my user name and then it goes to the desktop? how do i make it like before?

what probably happened was that either screensaver or idle triggers the logon screen. if its from a screensaver, just go to the screensaver tab [right click on desktop>Screensavers] and uncheck password protect.

if its just from idle, then you'll need to go around the settings more, i can't remember how that worked.

By "The Login Screen" you mean the Welcome Screen where you click on your username, right? Does it say "Logged on" or "# programs" in blue letters under your name when this happens? If so, you probably have your screensaver set to show the welcome screen after it wakes up. Do what bonestonne said, and see if that helps. If this happens when returning from hibernate, look in the Power options (Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options) and look to see whether or not there is a checked box that says "Show welcome screen when returning from Hibernate or Standby" or something like that. Finally, see whether there's a group policy mandating that you show the welcome screen after a hibernate, sleep or screensaver. (GPEDIT.MSC > Local Computer Policy > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Display; make sure that Password Protect the Screen Saver is set to Not Configured or to Disabled; then go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management; make sure that "Prompt for Password on resume from hibernate/suspend" is disabled or not configured.)

Two comments:

1. I recommend that if this computer will be used in public places, I.E. it's a laptop, that you disable the welcome screen and use the classic logon, as it's safer. Also, when you leave your computer for an extended period of time and it's accessible to others, you should lock it or show the welcome screen by pressing WinLogo+L, so that others can't mess with your stuff.
  2. I swear I just answered something like this yesterday. Whatever. :wacko: