Ok guys i want a true unattended XP tryed but

I installed this app NLITE i tryed it with 2K several times last atempt i only had to select one option also tryed it with xp but it kept asking for the serial even though i put it in can someone show me step by step to do a true unattended install of xp pro dont want to intergrate nothing at the mo just would like it to b fully unattended i dont want to waste anymore discs if i can help it was gonna go about installing a virtual machine but it looks like i aint got enoough ram i got 1 Gig they say 512 but recomend 2Gig

If you are going to experiment with nLite then you really should

get the free vmware player to test your completed ISOs before

burning them to disc.

It quicker, easier and considerable less wasteful.

The vmware player cannot be used to create new virtual

machines but there are a number of tools available to this. Also,

it doesn't support snapshots but this is easily worked around if

absolutely necessary.

1GB of RAM is fine for most purposes and more than enough for

simply testing installations. Just create your virtual machine with

the default 256MB.

If you have problems with this then don't hesitate to post a query

in the appropriate forum either here, or the vmware forums, but

do try here first. There are a number of "Very Arrogant

Arseholes" on the vmware forums who attack anyone who

doesn't share their opinion.

Silvereyes today i got on the buzz of making an unattended XP and 2K first i tryed setup manager that comes with windows but found out thats not a true unattended so thought ok what the hell lets try nLite again before i started i did think i need to sort a virtual machine out before i do anything cos i dont want to start wasting discs again never used a virtual machine before but didnt go any further cos they reacon u need 512 but 2GIG recomended cos i got 1gig in this machine i did'nt bother trying so u recon 1 gig is sweet could i have my current os and a virtual machine os on 1 Gig.

Absolutely no problem, mate :) I myself only have 224MB RAM(+32MB shared for the on-board graphics chip) and i am using VMware 6 without a problem :) However, it does get pretty slow when working in the virtual machine as i only have 128MB reserved for it, but i mostly use VMware to just test the installation process of the unattended ISO's and don't really do actual work in them afterwards, but just continue to reinstall untill perfect. Btw, i would recommend you to check out VirtualBox. Unfortunetly i couldn't use it myself when i tried it, as it couldn't run on my low amount of RAM, but it's clean interface, the low size of the installed app and the fact that it was even freeware really impressed me :)

http://www.virtualbox.org

VMware player is also free and works well in 1GB.

I personally use Workstation 5.5.1 which is a bit more resource intensive due to

all the extra bells and whistles but still works well in 1GB. I can run multiple

virtual machines with a mixture of Windows and Linux guests.

I must admit I've never tried VirtualBox but I have tried a number of other

virtualization products and I keep coming back to VMware, they are definitely

still the masters of the art at present. The only ones I would recommend you

avoid are the Microsoft products. These are so slow I'm at a loss to understand

how they could possibly think these are marketable.

VMware also have another free product called Server but it's not really intended

for 'workstation' style tasks.

BTW: You can find a lot of support infomation on Ulli's site. I don't know if he still

has the online vm creator as I haven't visited it for a while.

http://sanbarrow.com/

Edited by Silvereyes