Win 98 32-bit icons

I know about intel i810 i have on on my test PC... But i have a weird "bug"... When i install an OS on my VPC2007 and turn on Shell Icon BPP on 32 alpha blending works :D...
Not really a bug but it proves how stupid this is... No hardware support means you can't have Morrowind or 32bits icons but it works through software support...

I mean how can you make a video card without 32bits colors support today when the old S3 Virge I had 10 years ago was dealing that fine? :no:

And @ other people:

What's the problem with the tray? I mean, if you use Dr. Hoiby's explorer, you will get 256 colors icons whatever the "ShelliconBPP" is.

• 4 weeks later...
I know about intel i810 i have on on my test PC... But i have a weird "bug"... When i install an OS on my VPC2007 and turn on Shell Icon BPP on 32 alpha blending works :D...

but are you using Win98se or WinME? the problem I was describing about ShellIcon BPP to 32 and making the trayicons look good and the desktop icons look worse apply to WinME. If you are using Win98 SE and installed the patched explorer.exe file under 98 SE, the problem should be completely fixed whether you're using 16bit, 24bit or 32bit color depths.

Dr. Hoiby in his explorer.exe patch page claims the problem is fixed in WinME/XP. He is half right. Running his 256ColorTrayTest.exe file under an i810 card in 24bit true color mode (IN WINME) and the tray icon test FAILED as the icon displayed only a few colors. After rebooting the WinME computer and switching to 16bit high color mode and running the 256ColorTrayTest.exe file, the test will work by displaying all its colors. So the 256 color TrayIcons problem is partially resolved in WinME in certain color depths but NOT all of them. But in WinXP and higher, the problem is completely fixed in ALL color modes.

It looks like the explorer.exe file in WinME HAS to be edited (aka. patched) to fix the trayicons problem for ALL color depths. I'll try to figure that out.

Edited by erpdude8

I forgot about patching it, but yesterday a friend from MSFN told me that it has a familiar part. If u've patched it post it (if u haven't done it earlier).

I had been busy for the last few weeks and I am in the process of making installers for the Win95 and NT4 patches (both for the regular 95/NT4 shells and the IE active desktop shells for 95/NT4). I will send these patches to MDGx and will be available on his web site. the explorer.exe patches for the regular W95/NT4 shells are now posted at MDGx's web site and I'll be sending him the other explorer.exe patches that are for the IE Desktop Update under 95/NT4 soon.