vLite, autounattend.xml and unattend.xml

zedox

An original vista disc will install fine using my autounattend.xml and unattend.xml, but if I use a vLite'd disc it doesn't.

for instance, if I ONLY remove Games or Drivers (havn't tested any others yet) vista will install fine but the useraccount isnt created, copyprofile doesn't happen and on first boot it asks for a product key, locale settings and to create a user account.

What does vLite do to the installation to stop it reading autounattend.xml and unattend.xml files correctly?

Hm, since vLite also has an Unattended options with the xml file creation I'm sure it works.

But I would bet that I heard a report like this before, that the xml file is there but it's not working, I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Could it be that your XML depends on the Image title, which has '(vLite)' in the name after the modifications?

just to add... I checked the Windows\Panther folder on an original install and my vlite intall.

The unattend.xml file that is there is different in each install! Surely thats not right?

Will post copies of my files tomo along with config scripts for vlite, will be fantastic to get to the bottom of this!

Let me repeat:

"Could it be that your XML depends on the Image title, which has '(vLite)' in the name after the modifications?"

Meaning: pleased edit your XML file and check if there is some kind of specific Vista title and change it to the title from the vLite's browse info.

Do you create that XML with the WAIK? Maybe try to repeat the process after the vLite, just open and resave.

I don't think the XML depends on image titles, anywho, I checked both files and both are pointing

<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:c:/unattendedfiles/home/uavistaultimate/windows_vista_ultimate/sources/install.wim#Windows Vista (vLite) ULTIMATE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />

They both seem to work with the original vista disc, so that rules that out.

Afternoon!

I've attached my presets...

autounattend.xml

unattend.xml

Last Session.ini

Components

I've tested ONLY removing Accessories and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Drivers and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Games and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Hardware Support and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Languages and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Multimedia and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Network and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing Services and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY removing System and the unattend did work.

Tweaks

I've tested ONLY turning UAC off and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY setting Memory Requirement to 256MB and the unattend did work.

I've tested ONLY turning Hibernation off and the unattend did work.

Edited by zedox

Just tested removal of ONLY Languages and the unattend did work, and also tested removal of ONLY Multimedia, the unattend also did work!

Edited by zedox

nuhi, please don't spend any of your time on this for the moment.

I'm going to go through everything possible with vLite until I find what causes this problem.

I will update this post accordingly.

Edited by zedox