New Build Problem

morocco31477

I just built a new computer. Here are the specs:

CPU AMD A64 X2 4800+ 2.5G AM2 65N

CPU COOLER ROSEWILL RCX-Z940-SL

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe NF570SLI AM2

2GB (2x1GB) Crucial Ballistix PC-6400 800MHz RAM

VGA XFX PVT84GUDF3 8600GTS 256MB

HD 160GB WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1600AAJS (OS Only Drive)

CREATIVE XtremeGamer 70SB073A00000 RT

CASE RAIDMAX ATX-612WBP 500W BK

DVD_BURN ASUS DRW-1814BLT LS BLK

When I tried to power it up for the first time, I had to hold the power button in for two seconds. Then it would turn on, all the case fans and the heatsink will spin, but it shuts right off. The LED on the motherboard is illuminated green. What am I doing wrong?

I would say the powersupply, the green LED is to indicate that the 5Volt line is okay...

Unplug everything from the powersupply exept the 24pin and the 4 pin 12V connector. By the way, did you connect the 12V connector?

I would say the powersupply, the green LED is to indicate that the 5Volt line is okay...

Unplug everything from the powersupply exept the 24pin and the 4 pin 12V connector. By the way, did you connect the 12V connector?

the psu is also the one that came with the case...

some that come with cases are decent but alot of the are horrible when it comes to higher end parts.

Edited by ripken204

I just switched power supplies to a 500w Ultra V Series (which I like better, more connections). It's doing the same thing. Is it possible to install the CPU upside down? I don't think so right? It can only go one way.

I just switched power supplies to a 500w Ultra V Series (which I like better, more connections). It's doing the same thing. Is it possible to install the CPU upside down? I don't think so right? It can only go one way.

Yeah, CPU is a 1-way fit.

You have an 8600, I'd say maybe you forgot to plug in the power ont he video card. Also, your board is SLI, so check to make sure you plugged the power supply into the SLI power port on the board (with SLI power in, you will have 3 power connections on the board).

I have the power plugged into the Video Card, but I did not know to plug in the SLI power, I don't even know what that looks like. If I'm not running SLI, do I need that plugged in? THANK YOU for your help dude.

Question again: Did you connect the 4 pin 12V powerconnector to the mobo?

EDIT: Most 8600GT cards don´t have the powerconnector, and don´t worry about that SLI powerconnector but it´s not bad to connect it. So, if you do everything well, you should have that 24 pin ATX, 4 pin 12V and a molex (5.25" power) connected to the mobo.

Edited by puntoMX

I remember plugging in the 24 pin ATX (mine is 24 pin, not 20 + 4). I haven't built a computer in three years, so I'm not sure if I connected the 4 pin 12v and molex (5.25" power) to the bobo. Can someone post a picture of my motherboard and circle where these are at (I'm at work right now). That would be great if someone can do that, so I can see it and try to remember if I connected those.

Ripken, he has a ASUS M2N-SLI that has 1 4 pin 12V connector on board. I see taht he also doesn´t have the molex connector for extra power on SLI.

So, just one 4 pin 12V connector and the 24 pin ATX ;).

Yeah I think I missed that 4 pin 12v connector, I only remember plugging in the 24 pin connector. Can't wait to get home, will post the results. Thanks people.

It booted fine! Thanks a million everyone.

OK now I can't install Windows. I set the CDROM as the 1st boot device in the BIOS, then the HDD as the second. After the BIOS screen, I just get a blinking cursor in the upper-left corner. Help.

Edited by Shark007
merge multiple posts

if your HDD is SATA, then you need to make sure that IDE/PATA is enabled in BIOS, and that your drive is set properly [ie:Master, Slave or Cable Select, via a jumper on the back] if your ODD is SATA, then i don't know what to tell you, that should be automatic.

Hmmm, If it's SATA, why would IDE/PATA need to be set? I'll try it though. And you said that I need to make sure the jumpers are set correctly, everything is SATA, even the DVD Burner, so no jumpers.

Update: This computer is acting real funny. I have the DVD-ROM in SATA1 slot and the SATAII HDD in SATA2 slot. I disabled RAID and IDE. I have the boot order like this: CD-ROM - Hard Drive - Disabled - Disabled. I know for a fact the discs I am using are bootable. I have XP SP2, XP64 and Vista64. Non are working. Just going to a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. When I boot and the CD or DVD is in it doesn't recognize it. The boot screen that tells you your RAM and what drives you have looks fine, all my RAM and two drives show up. Another thing too, sometimes I'll hit delete, it will say entering BIOS or whatever, but it only enters the BIOS sometimes, not all of the time. Any ideas?

Edited by morocco31477