[Solved] Can't Mount Own Images

I created a Windows XP .wim image using imagex. However, I can't mount the image. Says the file not found.

I'm using a script to do this and it mounts vista's install.wim image from DVD fine. But I can't mount an image created my self. All paths are correct.

Is mounting your own images not allowed by imagex?

Edited by spacesurfer

What errors are you getting?

How did you install imageX? Just pull the files into a directory? If so you need to install.

If you have the correct files, right-click and left-click Install on the file "wimfltr.inf".

@vim

I installed WAIK on my main computer. It works there.

On my virtual machine, I'm using just the files, which are imagex.exe, intlcfg.exe, wimfltr.inf, wimfltr.sys, wimgapi.dll. It doesn't work on my virtual machine.

So I did what you said, right-click then install wimfltr.inf. It showed it installed. Then I restarted and I still get this error. See screenshot below:

post-25917-1181308964_thumb.png

Okay, I realize what's happened. The right-click --> install on wimfltr.inf works. It didn't work on my nlited install of XP.

More information:

In order to get ImageX to mount without WAIK installed, you need to install KB914882. If you don't want to install WAIK or this KB, you need four files (fltmc.exe, fltlib.dll, fltmgr.inf, and fltmgr.sys). Right-click on fltmgr.inf and do install. You also need to right-click wimfltr.inf to install as well.

Once these are installed, do "net start wimfltr" to start the service and you should be able to mount.

This successfully worked in my nlited XP (which had failed before I did this) and this allows me to create a BartPE plugin that doesn't require the source to have KB914882 integrated. Here's an ImageX plugin for BartPE if anyone is looking for it: ImageX Plugin for BartPE

Edited by spacesurfer