Generic 98 USB driver for memory sticks on 98se WORKS

Molecule

Jump to last post:

I need some guidance on how to use a USB memory stick.

I have a 733-P3 on ASUS CUV4X mobo with 512m. Will a usb memory stick (a 1G "Kingston" - I think) work in w98se, with Gape's SP2.1a?

do I have to turn the 'puter off first?

what happens next, after one is inserted into a USB port

my computer, properties, devices, shows 4 USB icons and 2 USB driver sets ...

1-USB Root hub MS 4-23-1999 v 4.10.2227 in \system32\drivers\usbhub.sys and in \system\vmm32\ntkern.vxd

2-VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, v016 in (4 files listed)

drives c thru o are taken (3-ide hdds, 1 scsi w/ 2-cds + 1-zip), so the next available drive letter is p. cds and zip are x,y,z

I have a USB-mouse on one of the USBs

are there any "dont dos" to make sure I don't do to lose my work, or damage the stick? like plug in while running, or, unplug while running, or plug and unplug too quickly (can you treat them just like ... oh, never mind), or ???

thanks

Edited by Molecule

All you need is the driver.

I downloaded this driver from their site. Althought it says w98 is not supported, it works on my updated w98SE++.

W98 is even better than XP because you unplug anything off the USB hub without doing the "remove hardware" nonsens from the XP task bar.

There is no risk of losing data or damaging the device on w98.

There should be no problem assigning a drive letter neither.

Here is the file I downloaded from Kingston.

(Sorry I lost the link)

DTI.EXE

Kingston

DTI/XX - USB DataTraveler I Drivers

File Name: DTI.EXE

Description: DTI/XX USB DataTraveler I

Windows 98SE Driver. (12/16/2005)

Windows 2000 and Windows XP ship with drivers for this device.

For installation instructions, download the ReadMe

Kingston has discontinued Windows 98SE support for recently released DataTravelers. Unless your packaging states that Windows 98SE is supported for file transfer, via Compatibility Table, Kingston cannot guarantee compatibility with these drivers on Windows 98SE.

If you are experiencing problems installing your DataTraveler on Windows 98SE, CLICK HERE to view the DTI Win98SE FAQ.

File Size: 1.17 MB

Note the Maximus Decim USB universal driver didn't work in my case.

HTH

thanks fred!

DTI/XX - USB DataTraveler I drivers

default Windows 98SE Driver (12/16/2005)

http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/...atatrav/DTI.EXE (1,236,215)

the FAQ page, has this alternate driver for earlier versions of memory stick

http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/...I_v2.34r020.exe (5,426,763)

if after unpacking, InstallShield returns error "unhandled exception 0x80070725, incompatible version of the RPC stub, setup terminates" see Kingston Knowledgebase Q105810

according to Kingston Q105810, version of oleaut32.dll from DCOM package has an incompatibility. download a compatible dcom98, http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q105810/dcom98.exe, reboot to dos, cd to windows\system rename oleaut32.dll to oleaut.old, reboot to windows, run the dcom98.exe from kingston, and reboot again. Then install DTI.exe per instructions. Then reboot to dos, cd to windows\system rename oleaut32.old to oleaut.dll, and reboot to windows.

Edited by Molecule

help!

when I revert back to original version of oleaut32.dll, the InstallShield program runs ok.

according to their instructions, what is supposed to happen is: (don't insert stick) run expanded DTI.exe, reboot, w98 rebuilds device db and get message "insert datatraveler at any time" (don't insert), click finish to reboot, then use datatraveler.

the stick still doesn't work. (t's not the stick because it works on another computer)

when w98se is running, inserting (or removing) the stick and removing the stick does nothing ... no popups, no changes in My Computer, devices, etc.

if I insert the stick prior to boot up, I get new device dialog. according to the Kingston FAQ, I'm supposed to update using the have driver option, using an inf file located at the installed location.

The installed location is c:\program files\KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY CO INC\DataTraveler 2.0 (install default). It has three files:

dokhdc.inf, 0 bytes, today's date

dokusb.inf, 0 bytes, today's date

SafeEject.EXE, 188416 bytes, 01-23-2005

None of the infs work.

If I continue, then w98se installs an unknown (?) device, which when opened in My Computer, properties, devices, shows the DataTraveler 2.0.

If I right click on that to install or update driver, the above 0-byte infs still don't work.

I also tried the older version of the driver, and it produces the same results.

any one have any idea on how to help me?

Edited by Molecule

Now I remeber I had to do something like that too but it worked (I don't know after the first or the second attempt).

try this:

according to their instructions, what is supposed to happen is: (don't insert stick) run expanded DTI.exe, reboot, w98 rebuilds device db and get message "insert datatraveler at any time" (INSERT instead of don't insert), click finish to reboot, then use datatraveler.

also

dokhdc.inf, 0 bytes, today's date

dokusb.inf, 0 bytes, today's date

are empty files add cannot work...?

Also update windows. My w98SE has always got all the last updates (or almost), at least uSP2.1a should be installed.

Normaly the usb key should appear as a new drive, just under the cd or dvd drives in Explorer.

thanks Fred.

I gave up on the bloated 1.2 and 5.4 meg Kingston drivers after 20+ reboots, of every combination and permutation I could think of.

In the aftermath of rage and envy, I found this 10k generic USB driver for memory sticks, from WinTricks. Nothing fancy. But --- IT WORKS!!!

faq for driver is here (written in portugese I think -- google translation of a cut and pate, spanish to english, returned garbage) http://www.wintricks.it/faq/usbpen98.html Click through the pages for screenshot sequences of install & unistall. Download link is on last page (6).

Download the generic driver -- http://www.wintricks.it//download/wtgenusb.zip (Only 10K, and no registry installs -- nice!). Unzip to a safe location because it has a remove.bat file you might want.

Remove the Kingston drivers (that I couldn't get to work) by running the installer on top of itself. The installer will detect a previous install, and uninstall it, requiring a reboot.

During reboot, plug the Kingston memory stick into a USB port. Windows will detect an unknown device, and put a yellow-? on the devices list.

Open My Computer, properties, Device Manager, right-click properties on the Kingston DataTraveler memory stick, and install driver using WinTricks generic USB driver, WTGenUSB.inf from the zip.

My memory stick immediately shows up as a device under hard drives on Device Manager, and it is immediately available for use as a drive (without a reboot).

Works great for me. (win98se with SP2.1a, on p3 on ASUS CUV4x mobo)

This tight little generic gem might be a something for MGx to know about (maybe he already does?), or for Soporific to include in his next package. Based on reports from several threads on this site, http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=21792, this driver seems to work for all 98 systems, including memory sticks, photocards, etc. and it works where others fail.

Edited by Molecule

thanks fred!

according to Kingston Q105810, version of oleaut32.dll from DCOM package has an incompatibility. download a compatible dcom98, http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q105810/dcom98.exe, reboot to dos, cd to windows\system rename oleaut32.dll to oleaut.old, reboot to windows, run the dcom98.exe from kingston, and reboot again. Then install DTI.exe per instructions. Then reboot to dos, cd to windows\system rename oleaut32.old to oleaut.dll, and reboot to windows.

Molecule, you can also download DCOM 98 for Windows 98 SE here from the Microsoft downloads page:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/1...8a51/DCOM98.EXE

this one has DCOM version 4.71.3328.

also, update the OLEAUT32.DLL file to version 2.40.4522 by installing MDGx's unofficial OLE Automation 2.40.4528 patch here:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/OLEUP.EXE

Molecule,

That's a fantastic finding you have here. I thought the only generic driver was Maximus Decim's one and it doesn't work with the Kingston sticks.

It means that other poeple are working on w98 outside this forum (we are not alone in the Universe!)

I don't know how you couldn't install your stick while I managed to do so. Maybe we have different sticks, I dunno, but I will certainly try this generic driver the next time I reinstall completely windows.

I hope MDGx will include this generic driver in his update site and thread.

(written in portugese I think -- google translation of a cut and pate, spanish to english, returned garbage)

If I may, it should be rather obvious that a site like www.wintricks.it is not Spanish or Portuguese, but rather Italian. ;)

:whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

the lexar driver is in fact a microsoft umss.sys driver version 5.0.1868.1 that is written for windows nt but as few people know works pretty well with w98se , in my case i also did the same experiment of changing the inf file on a driver from twinmos also using umss.sys version 5.0.1868.1 to this:

%GenericBulkOnly.DeviceDesc%=OEM01Dev.install,USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50

%GenericBulkOnly.DeviceDesc%=OEM01Dev.install,USB\Class_08&SubClass_05&Prot_50

%GenericBulkOnly.DeviceDesc%=OEM01Dev.install ,USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50

%UMSS\DISK.DeviceDesc%=umsspdr.install,UMSS\USB_DISK

Even if the lexar umss.sys is very small 10k compared to smallest of 14k to 15k i 've got ,

as you see you also have to use the .pdr file otherwise it will not work .

I'm trying to implement this if i can find the right sys driver .

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=69392

Anyone needing a driver for an USB memory stick, just try the

original W2K (before SP1) driver Usbstor.sys

(version like 5.0.2112.1 or something like that)

and install it with Usbstor.inf from the

same version of W2K. During the installation you will be asked

the path to the files Ntmap.sys and Ntmaphlp.pdr - these you will

find in your original Win98SE-CD or in your hard drive

c:\windows\options directory. That's it - you won't need anything

else and your USB memory stick will work just fine.

Things can sometimes be really simple - don't you agree!

Why do you think i posted this question here (no reply yet)

even from maximum decim personal enquire ? (aka mdgx)

http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum_Decim_Na...html&st=320

quote >

Hi all,

i'm new on the forum have some questions maybe some guru can reply.

I've seen there are some usb driver supposed to be microsoft for example umss.sys , umssfdik.sys , usbbulk.sys , bulkusb.sys , usbstor.sys . What are the main difference between them ?

Do some one have the version history for every microsoft ubs driver produced ?

Example starting from 4.10.2222 , 5.0.1636.1 , 5.0.1868.1 , 5.0.2138.1 and up to 5.1 ?

Thank,

Pat

end quote>

ciao jaclaz

pat98usb

Just checked, original Win2k appears to have

USBSTOR.SYS Version 5.0.2138.1 size:19,760 bytes

Service Pack 3 should be:

USBSTOR.SYS Version 5.0.2195.4854 size:21.552 bytes

Service Pack 4 should be:

USBSTOR.SYS Version 5.0.2195.6655 size:21,552 bytes

As soon as I have time I'll check what's inside other SPs.

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz .

What i have...

Windows ME

USBSTOR.SYS Version 4.90.3000.0 size:21.040 byte

Windows XP

USBSTOR.SYS Version 5.1.2600.0 size:21.760 byte

XP SP2

USBSTOR.SYS version 5.1.2600.2180 size:26.496 byte

XPE SP1 2001

USBSTOR.SYS version 5.1.2600.0 size:21.760 byte

XPE SP 2003

USBSTOR.SYS version 5.1.2600.1106 size:21.760 byte

XPE SP2007

USBSTOR.SYS version 5.1.2600.2996 size:26.368 byte

But if somebody else can help for version below the name used

for the Original Microsoft Mass Storage Driver and size .

pat98usb

• 1 month later...

I too am able to get the WTGenusb driver to work w/ my Kingston Data Traveler 2 GB stick & W98se on an ASUS P5s-B.

It sure does load up the processer tho.

Response w/ a couple of browser windows open is not so great.

Other than that the stick works.

Brodick