Problems with RC8

johndoe74

Hi guys, I just did a couple of fresh builds with RC8 and tho MBSA shows the XPMCE build to be fine (everything installed), my Win2KSP4 build shows 10 missing updates!!! Please note this was not the case with the last release version. Everything was working fine with that!

Score ID Description Maximum Severity Download

MS05-044 Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000 (KB905495) Moderate

MS04-037 Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB841356) Important

MS06-076 Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB923694) Important

MS02-050 Q329115: Security Update (Windows 2000)

MS05-013 Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB891781) Important

MS06-061 Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB924191) Critical

MS03-023 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows

MS07-027 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB931768) Critical

MS07-004 Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB929969) Critical

MS06-057 Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB923191) Critical

Please see attached logs (win2k only)

EDIT! There is actually a little bit of a problem with XPMCE as well, mbsacli.exe doesn't exit automatically like it normally does. it gets stuck on this screen:

Internet Information Services (IIS) Scan Results

IIS is not running on this computer.

SQL Server Scan Results

SQL Server and/or MSDE is not installed on this computer.

Desktop Application Scan Results

Administrative Vulnerabilities

Issue: IE Zones

Score: Check passed

Result: Internet Explorer zones have secure settings for all users.

Issue: Macro Security

Score: Check not performed

Result: No Microsoft Office products are installed

but on manually exiting and opening up the gui interface to view the results shows all updates installed

Edited by johndoe74

hmm ... does WU complain about missing updates?

I had the a similiar problem with one of the RCs and win2k ... maybe it derives from the new cabs hfslip creates for the ie6 slipstreaming?

I find it hard to believe that RC7 was fine. You can see for yourself in the changelog which change was made from RC7 to RC8.

Check inside the custom cabs if the contained files have the date/time stamp of when you ran HFSLIP. If so, that's your problem.

If you're not running HFSLIP on Windows 2000, the files in the three custom cab files used to get the current date/time stamp. HFSLIP works around this now by using MAKECAB.EXE in the main HFSLIP working folder if the host OS is not Windows 2000; if MAKECAB.EXE does not exist in the HFSLIP working folder, the one from SOURCE\I386 is used.

Did you remove the custom cab files created by an earlier RC which still used the system's MAKECAB.EXE for host OS's other than Windows 2000? If not, remove them and let RC8 create them again.

I find it hard to believe that RC7 was fine. You can see for yourself in the changelog which change was made from RC7 to RC8.

no no, i actually meant the last (final) release, not the last RC

Check inside the custom cabs if the contained files have the date/time stamp of when you ran HFSLIP. If so, that's your problem.

If you're not running HFSLIP on Windows 2000, the files in the three custom cab files used to get the current date/time stamp. HFSLIP works around this now by using MAKECAB.EXE in the main HFSLIP working folder if the host OS is not Windows 2000; if MAKECAB.EXE does not exist in the HFSLIP working folder, the one from SOURCE\I386 is used.

Did you remove the custom cab files created by an earlier RC which still used the system's MAKECAB.EXE for host OS's other than Windows 2000? If not, remove them and let RC8 create them again.

i think thats what the problem is. i checked inside the cab and the files were of current date. the host system is XPSP2. I've deleted those three cabs and will try again with RC8. Thanks!

by the way, what do you think of the second thing ? i.e., the MBSA client freezing on XPMCE ?