possible to limit memory usage per application ?

Hi all,

I'm hoping some bright spark might be able to help me

My problem is this:

I've been testing running my Windows XP x64 PC with 4x1GB sticks of DDR2 and the system passes Memtest etc. with no errors whatsoever.

Pretty much everything is working how it should be, except for one app... DVD2SVCD http://www.dvd2svcd.org/

If I have the 4 sticks installed, when I try to open DVD2SVCD it gives me an error :(

post-42391-1181230092_thumb.jpg

Take out two sticks and it works as it should :rolleyes:

Rather than taking out 2 of the sticks each time I want to use DVD2SVCD I was hoping somebody might be able to offer another workaround

So far, (apart from removing memory) the only method I've been able to find that works is to use the boot.ini, MAXMEM command, but this obviously requires a reboot in-between

So would anybody happen to know how I might be able to limit the amount of memory available to DVD2SVCD, or maybe how I can get it to work with the full 4GB ???

Many thanks in advance

-P

Edited by Pyr0

Is this a 32 or 64bit application? It's failing in kernel32.dll, which means it's making calls to kernel when it fails. If this is a 32bit app or not using a native 64bit driver, I would expect this sort of thing to happen (some 32bit drivers running on 64bit OSes, or 32bit OSes with PAE enabled, can exhibit this problem when they are given access to more memory than they are ready to handle).

Hi cluberti, thanks for the reply :)

Yes, DVD2SVCD is only a 32bit app :}

I did kinda have an idea that it was to do with the app. being 32bit and the extra memory addresses available.

I just wondered if there was any way to limit only DVD2SVCD to below 2GB, or limit it to certain addresses or something.

Instead of having to use the MAXMEM command and rebooting each time I want to convert a video, and then rebooting again after to remove MAXMEM.

I won't even try to pretend to know exactly how it works, but I thought that 32bit apps were limited to 2GB automatically *shrug*

I won't even try to pretend to know exactly how it works, but I thought that 32bit apps were limited to 2GB automatically *shrug*

If it was compiled /largeaddressaware, then it can actually use 3GB on an x86 box (with /3gb in the boot.ini) or 4GB on an x64 box. There's many a reason why 32bit drivers aren't supported or recommended on x64, and this is one of them.

well this is a possibility.

u could have vmware use 2 gigs or ram and then run it in x64, not vmware. that way it will only see 2gigs of ram?

or make a ram disk out of your ram?

im not sure if the program check the full amount of ram you have or the free ram..

The amount of memory an application gets has no bearing on how much RAM is in the box, but the amount of RAM a driver "sees" can affect it's functionality. There's no way to hide memory from a driver short of pulling sticks of RAM or booting with the /MAXMEM boot.ini option - in short, the only really good option here is to get an x64 version of the software/driver, which currently (as far as can be determined) does not exist.