Delete Temp Files

itzbinnice

What Temp files can I delete safely in my personal folder?

Have 109 MB sitting in there but I'm afraid to remove cause I think some are system files.

The directory I'm referring to is:

Documents and Settings(Will my Name)local settingstemp

there is a sub directory there named "temporary internet files" which I won't touch since my cookies are there.

I do have 3 folders with a series of numbers and letters which I think are system files and I'm afraid to remove.

One folder in particular has ISScript.MSI where I also see in the add/remove programs option but has no file size there.

Are these 3 folders with the numbers and letters dangerous to remove.

Please advise what is safe to remove since 109 Mb is a big waste of space if I don't need em. Also Windows has it's own Temp directory, is it safe to remove evrything from there? Thanks for any advice.

First of all - you can clean up the Temporary Internet Files folder - without harming cookies - by using IE itself. Click on Tools Internet Options - on the general tab in the middle you will find a button to "Delete Files" ---> click that sucker and get your space back. As for the files in 'temp' -- I think you can absolutely delete any that begin with ~

For the series of numbers folders - specify what they are. I can be more help then.

LS

LS Dragons

I know about the IE delete files tool, but that doesn't remove all the files in the WindowsTemp directory. Below is what that folder contains:

folder is "remove" with 7 subdirectories

win95cur win95old win98 win98se win2000 winme winxp

All the subdirectories have only information files inf" ranging from 17 to to 41 files. Even though in the Temp folder I am very reluctant to remove anything with inf characters.

As for the Documents and Settings temp folder in my name, the 3 folders with the letters and numbers appear to be scripting files of some sort. Below are the folders and files

1) {13bac5db-a3d3-4359-95ff-40ec20cc4641}

contains ISScript.msi and scpthdlr.dll

2) {8851e-12c-oef9-1104-a788-009027aba5d0}

contains _Isres.dll installscript.tmp isconfig.ini isrt.dll

string1033.txt

3) {8851e-12c-oef9-1104-a788-009027aba5d0}.0

contains _Isres.dll installscript.tmp isconfig.ini isrt.dll string1033.txt drvchkNT.exe

What I decided to do was delete all the s*** in temp directory and leave it in the recycle bin until I make sure all the programs are working properly. If all checks out I'll delete them. I could identify most, like installation of MS Office, my printer and other programs that were installed.

But the 3 folders with the scripting makes me nervous. What improvement has XP made, nothing has changed, you can remove a program then go check the registry under software and it's still there. Sometimes it even leaves the string in the run command.

Do me a favor and check your personal folders temp and see if you have anything similar to my 3 folders.

Why not just use XP "Disk Cleanup" tool (in "System Tools")? It can safely clean temp, temp IE, old chk files and so on... It can even clean s*** from other windows OS located it different partitions. :)

Why not just use XP "Disk Cleanup" tool (in "System Tools")? It can safely clean temp, temp IE, old chk files and so on... It can even clean s*** from other windows OS located it different partitions. :) [/quote:94a223e40e]

Disk Cleanup only removes Temporary Internet Files, it never cleans out the Temp folder located here: Documents and Settings(my Name)local settingstemp.

Just one quick reminder for anyone lurking who might not be aware of it -- the temp directory often serves as a repository for installation files which must be present during the first system boot following the installation of a driver or software, or even following configuration changes for some apps. If you interrupt the installation process by deleting needed temp files before the installation or configuration process can be finished during the next reboot you may have problems with the software / drivers that were being installed / configured. To be safe, reboot immediately before removing files from the temp directories.

- Collin