Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.4

Hi there,

I've been searching for a long time for switches to make Tbird 2.0.0.4 completely unattended and silently installed, with no luck. :unsure:

Is there any way to do this, even using WinRAR to make a SFX-like package ?

It would be very nice to make it the default e-mail client also, instead of Outlook... :thumbup

Thanks a lot,

--ThundernetBR

1. Install Firefox and the extensions you need and then configure everything as you like and clear the cache(CTRL+Shift+Delete) before exiting Firefox.

2. Copy your Firefox profile folder i.e. '%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\' into a temp directory.

3. Unpack the Firefox installer executable(7-Zip SFX installer) into the temp folder.

4. Move 'firefox.reg' into the temp folder.

5. Move 'setup.cmd' into the temp folder.

6. Make a 7-Zip SFX installer of the contents inside the temp folder(not the folder itself) and let the installer run 'setup.cmd'. If you use the modified 7z SFX module, then use 'hidcon:setup.cmd' to hide the console window and also 'GUIMode="2"' to hide the extraction dialog completely. If you don't know how to make the 7z SFX installer, then here is a beginners guide : http://www.msfn.org/board/7_Zip_Switchless...ler_t39048.html

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec]

@="\"%1\",,0,0,,,,"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]

@="Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HTTP\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE -url \"%1\" -requestPending"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html]

@="FirefoxHTML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm]

@="FirefoxHTML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\https\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec]

@="\"%1\",,0,0,,,,"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]

@="Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\https\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xht]

@="FirefoxHTML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\gopher\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\gopher\shell\open\ddeexec]

@="\"%1\",,0,0,,,,"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\gopher\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]

@="Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\gopher\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\ddeexec]

@="\"%1\",,0,0,,,,"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\ddeexec\Application]

@="Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ftp\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.shtml]

@="FirefoxHTML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.xhtml]

@="FirefoxHTML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet]

@="FIREFOX.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode]

@="Firefox &Safemode"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE -safe-mode"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\properties]

@="Firefox &Options"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\properties\command]

@="C:\\PROGRA~1\\MOZILL~1\\FIREFOX.EXE -preferences"

start /wait setup.exe /S

regedit /s firefox.reg

xcopy Firefox "%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\" /e /h /k

The 'firefox.reg' file will set Firefox as the default web browser and is the exact keys which are set when you manually install Firefox and select 'OK' to associate Firefox as the default browser. Btw, if anyone should be interrested, then i also have the reg file needed for Thunderbird, which i will be happy to provide if anyone wants it.

Sorry for not using 'codebox' tags, but it sometimes removes backslashes and spaces and that's why i have used 'quote' tags instead...

Edited by Martin H

Btw, if anyone should be interrested, then i also have the reg file needed for Thunderbird, which i will be happy to provide if anyone wants it.

Please post it, I really appreciate any help. BTW, this topic was about Tbird since the beggining, not for Firefox... :hello: But the info about FFox will be also useful, at least for me ! :thumbup Thanks !

--ThundernetBR

HAHA :wacko: I'm very sorry, mate - I must be some kind of moron for confusing those two apps :) What i think did it, was that you mentioned v2.0.0.4, which is the current Firefox version number, whereas Thunderbird is at v2.0.0.0 :) Oh well, still i'm really embaressed for making such a fool of myself :blushing:

OK, mate - Let's try this one more time...

Mozilla Thunderbird v2.0.0.0 Unattended Installation :

1. Install Thunderbird and the extensions you need and then configure everything like you want.

2. Copy your Thunderbird profile folder i.e. '%appdata%\Thunderbird\' into a temp directory.

3. Unpack the Thunderbird installer executable(7-Zip SFX installer) into the temp folder.

4. Move 'thunderbird.reg' into the temp folder.

5. Move 'setup.cmd' into the temp folder.

6. Make a 7-Zip SFX installer of the contents inside the temp folder(not the folder itself) and let the installer run 'setup.cmd'. If you use the modified 7z SFX module, then use 'hidcon:setup.cmd' to hide the console window and also 'GUIMode="2"' to hide the extraction dialog completely. If you don't know how to make the 7z SFX installer, then here is a beginners guide : http://www.msfn.org/board/7_Zip_Switchless...ler_t39048.html

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}]
@="Mozilla MAPI"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="MozillaMapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{29F458BE-8866-11D5-A3DD-00B0D0F3BAA7}\LocalServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe /MAPIStartUp"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe\" -osint -compose \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.eml]
@="ThunderbirdEML"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\shell\properties]
@="Thunderbird &Options"

Edit: Reg entries changed to match Thunderbird v2.0.0.5.

start /wait setup.exe /S
regedit /s thunderbird.reg
xcopy Thunderbird "%appdata%\Thunderbird\" /e /h /k

Edited by Martin H

@The Mods

I'm very sorry for posting another post under my previous one, but it's just to make sure that it's seen(as an edit will not show any new unread posts in the thread for other users) and you are of course most welcome to append it to the other Firefox related post if you want, or maybe to split this and the other Firefox post into a new and more appropriately named thread (or delete them entirely :blushing: ) ? Sorry for the trouble, guys - And btw, many thanks for the great job you do in here day in and day out, it's very much appreciated(@mods/admins) :thumbup

1. I have come to think about that a few of the reg keys i have listed contained a word which where in the danish language since i'm using a localiced version of Firefox, so please go back and copy/paste the reg keys that i have previously listed for both Firefox and Thunderbird, since i have now translated those few words to english now(one word in Thunderbird and two in Firefox) :) Also, the reg keys containes hard coded paths, so if you don't use the standard programfiles path i.e. 'C:\Program Files\*', then you will need to change the keys(use an app which supports automatically 'Find & Replace').

2. In my previous instructions for making an unattended installation of Firefox then i forgot an important thing. If you use the Flash Player plugin(which i believe that most of us do), then my instructions didn't include the info needed for retaining the Flash Player plugin also. To get the Flash Player plugin also installed during the unattended install, then go to this website : http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/, so that Firefox will prompt you to install the missing Flash Player plugin and then select 'Yes' to install it. Then afterwards quit Firefox and copy the following three files from '%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\' into your temp directory :

NPSWF32.dll

NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe

flashplayer.xpt

And then use the following text as 'setup.cmd' instead of the previous posted 'setup.cmd' :

start /wait setup.exe /S

regedit /s firefox.reg

xcopy Firefox "%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\" /e /h /k

move NPSWF32.dll "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"

move NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"

move flashplayer.xpt "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\"

(It's only the three last lines which are new)

I myself have only just recently(about a week ago) reverted to using Firefox and Thunderbird instead of Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express 6 and then i first tried to use 'Silence of the Foxes', but that didn't work on the latest versions of Firefox/Thunderbird and then i found another old thread here on MSFN about how to make an unattended installation, but this solution was also to old to function correctly, and so i just decided to figure out myself how and where the settings and extensions and such where stored and which reg keys would make the app as the default app for mail/browsing etc. I hope that someone will be able to benefit from these instructions, as these kinds of instructions where something that i really could have used in the beginning, but on the other hand then it's also the most fun to figure things out for yourself, so i am defenetly not complaining :)

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

Here the code I use for Firefox 2.0.0.4:

install.cmd

title Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4

::Firefox 2.0.0.4
Firefox2004nl.exe /S

::skip Internet Explorer migration wizard
copy /y "override.ini" "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\"

::install plugins
for %%e in (".\Plugins\*.xpi") do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%e"

::install themes
for %%e in (".\Themes\*.jar") do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-theme "%%e"

::copy default profile
xcopy /e /i /r /y ".\Settings" "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\"

::change default downloadpath
set DefaultProfilePath=%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default

echo user_pref("browser.download.dir", "%USERPROFILE%\Downloads"); >> "%DefaultProfilePath%\prefs.js"
echo user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "%USERPROFILE%\Downloads"); >> "%DefaultProfilePath%\prefs.js"

::set Mozilla Firefox as default browser
"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

exit

override.ini

[XRE]
EnableProfileMigrator=false

Note the echo method is a quick and dirty method to change Firefox settings. Firefox automaticly uses last when duplicated settings are found.

You can sign up at Adobe's site to apply for distributed versions of Flash and Shockwave Player here.

Installation order is important. First firefox, then Flash/Shockwave plugins.

P.S. I'm also looking for setting Thunderbird as default e-mail client unattendly.

Edited by Acheron

Here the code I use for Firefox 2.0.0.4:

Hi Acheron :)

That is a nice script you have there and i'm sure it will be very helpfull to many. I started with installing the extensions with a 'for' loop and '-install-global-extension', but as i hate to afterwards go in and have to reconfigure every extensions options after my likings, then i decided to just install them first manually and set them completely up, and then when i copy the profile folder over to use it in an unattended 7z SFX installer, then all the extensions will also be there - pre-configured and everything. Your 'echo method' is very cool, i must say. Also, i didn't know that there where a firefox.exe switch to setup Fx as the default browser, which then makes my big reg file totally redundant :blushing: Well, atleast i didn't called myself an Fx expert :whistle:

P.S. I'm also looking for setting Thunderbird as default e-mail client unattendly.

I have posted the reg keys which Thunderbird sets when you select 'Ok' to make it the default mail client in a previous post in this thread :) (I used RegSnap and removed everything not set by Thunderbird).

CU, Martin.

The reason I use xpi extensions and the global-install option is to keep this project maintainable. I now use 14 firefox and 9 thunderbird extensions that get updated regularly.

I also copy the prefs.js from my userprofile after firefox installation and all custom settings are applied.

@ Acheron:

at the end of your batch script, you used the "-nosplash" parameter for Firefox. I think it's not needed at all, since Firefox doesn't include splashscreen, unlike the good old Mozilla (Seamonkey) ;)