Smallest and Fastest Xp or Linux

lznogoud

Hello,

I am looking for a way to create a very small and very fast OS wich act as a Internet window.

Why?, just for today's virusses and spyware etc i want to try this with Vmware and a look a like reborn option.

And i need a Windows Xp so small as possible to execute one simple program.

Do you people know some tutorial or way i can make this or something like it?

I have found some topics but they where canceled due some reasons :wacko:

For PE (Windows XP/2003 based) systems, probably your best bet is Native_ex/PicoXP, Winbuilder projects, here:

http://www.boot-land.net/

For "Full XP" it is nlite.

For Linux, it is difficult to say, as there so many distributions, my preference lately goes to Debian derivatives, like Knoppix or one of the derivatives from Knoppix, there are large communnities of "Knoppix modders", but I guess that it is just my personal opinion.

jaclaz

I shall explain my idea some more, because i don't believe i am the first one with this kind of idea.

What i want to do is create a Ramdisk.

On the ramdisk install the smallest OS or something wich can start a Internet Explorer like Firefox or something like it.

Why i want to do this is, the Internet is the biggest problem of virusses and spyware. Even today's virus scanners can't detect some virusses.

The idea behind this is you can Internet as much as you want and download virusses as much as you want on purpose or accidently.

But after a reboot or deleting the ramdisk your own pc is still free of virusses.

Something like a Sandbox mode for Internet.

Does somebody have some ideas what i can do or some tips?

I shall explain my idea some more, because i don't believe i am the first one with this kind of idea.

What i want to do is create a Ramdisk.

On the ramdisk install the smallest OS or something wich can start a Internet Explorer like Firefox or something like it.

No, I can confirm you are not the first one, that is what the Winbuilder project is being developed for, I am not sure about Firefox, but there are working scripts for both OPERA and the very minimal Offbyone.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz