Allowed Software List

The main server is running Debian Linux and all the workstations are running Windows XP Pro. The guy who set it up used POLEDIT.EXE (from win98) to create an Allowed Software List to restrict which executables can run on each computer. This he said, prevents any viruses from running. I'm not sure if thats true or not?

We're thinking about ditching Linux and moving to Windows 2000 Server or Server 2003. What's the best way to have an allowed software list on a Windows Server? I've looked at group policy but I can find any options in there. Maybe there's a way we could continue using POLEDIT.EXE? I know its been designed for Windows 98 but this guy somehow managed to get it to work with XP over a network with some function in Linux.

In Windows 2000 Server you can create a GPO to only allow certain software to run.

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Run only allowed Windows applications.

B)

Edit: Just checked, and it's in exactly the same place in Windows 2003 Server.

Edited by FAT64

In Windows 2000 Server you can create a GPO to only allow certain software to run.

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Run only allowed Windows applications.

B)

Edit: Just checked, and it's in exactly the same place in Windows 2003 Server.

I didn't realize that option existed in Group Policy thanks very much :)