WinXP SP2 & IE7 - Desktop icon

CharlyBrown

Unfortunately, even after adding the MSOOBE patch and getting rid of the stuff in the svcpack folder of the source, I'm still having the problem. Attached is my hfslip.log if you can find anything in it that could be causing the problem.HFSLIP.zip

Was there no problem with the desktop icon after using version 1.4.5?

If so, try this:

1) Run HFSLIP 1.4.5

2) Copy IE7_INST.EXE from SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK some place else

3) Run HFSLIP 1.5.0

4) Replace IE7_INST.EXE from SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK with the one you backed up before

5) Install

Edited by Tomcat76

No, I still had the problem with HFSLIP 1.4.5. The only time I didn't was when I wasn't doing an unattended install. Let me try running it without the unattended install and see what happens, although I'm not too sure what unattended would do differently.

Getting rid of the unattended setup fixed it, so it's something with how windows handles the unattended installation, or something with the options in the winnt.sif file. I did have it in the winnt.sif file to set an IE search path and some preset favorites. I'm going to get rid of those and see if it will run unattended.

People have reported problems with unattended + IE7 before. I don't really know how an unattended install works "on the inside" so right now I doubt I can come up with a workaround.

When the IE7 installer (even the original) is installed at T-13, ActiveSetup bits are forcefully removed from the registry so IE6-related post-installs aren't executed. An unattended install may handle things slightly differently and Microsoft haven't yet taken that into account.

You can actually test if the modifications made to the IE7 installer by HFSLIP are the evil doers by excluding the IE7 hotfixes (and BRANDING.CAB if you're using that). In this scenario, HFSLIP won't touch the original executable; it will just be renamed.

Edit...

Exclude these:

WindowsMedia10-KB917734-x86-ENU.exe (for WMP10; may conflict with WMP11)

WindowsMedia-KB891122-x86-ENU.exe (for WMP9/10; harmless, but a waste of time to have HFSLIP handle it)

Edited by Tomcat76

Hi!

In my case it's an unattended setup as well... So this may be the cause for the problem. :(

Would it be helpful if I attach the winnt.sif (without the windows key of course)?

Edited by CharlyBrown

After removing all internet Explorer related stuff from the winnt.sif, the setup completed successfully with the correct IE7 icon, and the icon functions correctly.

I removed:

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
Search_Page=http://google.com/

[Proxy]
Proxy_Enable=0
Use_Same_Proxy=1

[FavoritesEx]
Title1="Help Desk.url"
URL1="http://help.server.com/"
Title2="Web Mail.url"
URL2="http://webmail.server.com/"
Title3="Intranet.url"
URL3="http://int1/"

Although I'm guessing I don't really need to remove the favorites because those are just files. It may even be just one of the other 3 things, but they're not that important to me, so I'm not going to worry about researching those on my own. I will probably retry the favorites again though.

Edited by thebrian

That's an interesting find. It may be that the branding has changed in IE7.

Suggestion: use IEAK7 to create BRANDING.CAB with those custom settings of yours, copy it in the HFCABS folder and let HFSLIP handle it from there.

@CharlyBrown

Are you also using "BrandIEUsingUnattended"?

Hi!

Yes. We set Favorites, Help_Page, Home_Page and some quick links.

I'll try to remove the IE realted stuff as theBrain did. ;)

Is there a good link how to get the same settings using a branding.cab? I never tried that before...

In principle, you don't need IEAK7 for this. You can create your own install.ins file and cab it into BRANDING.CAB.

Expand INSTALL.IN_ from SOURCE\I386 and open in Notepad. This is only to see how it's done. Don't use it as a base.

Expand the main IE7 installation package and open install.ins in Notepad. Make your changes in there, based on how it's done in the one from SOURCE\I386. It's pretty much the same as what you do in WINNT.SIF. Compress your customized install.ins into BRANDING.CAB and place it in HFCABS.

One problem solved - next already waiting...

dotnet2.exe (ryan)... copied it to the HFSVCPACK directory but the setup shows an error message that it can't find the dotnet2.exe file. I checked it: it's present in the sourcess\I386\svcpack folder and of course in the i386\svcpack folder in the installation source. :}

dotnet2.exe (ryan)... copied it to the HFSVCPACK directory but the setup shows an error message that it can't find the dotnet2.exe file. I checked it: it's present in the sourcess\I386\svcpack folder and of course in the i386\svcpack folder in the installation source. :}
Are you presented a dialog where you can provide the location of dotnet2.exe? If so, what happens when you point it to I386\SVCPACK on the CD?

If this is a network install, that's probably the source of the problem. In that case, please give me a copy of HFSLIP.CMD in SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK.

Are you presented a dialog where you can provide the location of dotnet2.exe? If so, what happens when you point it to I386\SVCPACK on the CD?

If this is a network install, that's probably the source of the problem. In that case, please give me a copy of HFSLIP.CMD in SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK.

If I remember right it was just a line in the dos-box that said that the dotnet2.exe could not be found. No dialog to enter the path.

Yes, it is a network installation. I tested my HFSLIP-ISO with a CD based install and dotnet installed without problems. Nevertheless it would be better if dotnet would be as functional as the rest during a network install. ;)

Attached file: HFSLIP.cmd (not zipped) (working, without dotnet2)

EDIT:

Attached file: HFSLIP.zip (zipped HFSLIP.CMD) (non-working with dotnet2) BTW: The roots-section does not find the required files as well... but that is less important.

HFSLIP.CMD

HFSLIP.zip

Edited by CharlyBrown