Is there any means to change p4 cpu speed by software

pertsajakilu

Hi all!

I am glad that I found this forum. I thought that no one besides me uses Win98se any more ( I personally don't know anybody else ). Glad to find others too. :hello:

I have a Intel i865gfb ( Intel made ) board with 2,4Gig cpu. Is it possible somehow to drop processor speed with some software in win98? Bios don't have the option to change clock speeds. Laptop no problem but this is self made desktop. Are there any way to drop processor speed for example down to 1Ghz. I tried SpeedStep applet but It won't work because it needs mobile processor or SpeedStep support in bios.

Any suggestions? I have older computers, but no room for several computers. They are stored elsewhere waiting for roomier days.

Regards!

Arto

Thanks!

I'll try it. Does it actually underclock my pc? Because that is what I was meaning. That is the feature what I am looking for also when I am using XP. I have a dual boot. Pity that I didn't think that when I bought the mobo.

Arto

Well I think he means something like lower the Vcore in order to lower the power consumption. But that's not possible I think, the CPU has to support it I believe (like the mobile CPUs for example).

Normaly the CPU use and therefore the fan noise, should be reduced when no cpu use is needed.

(you can check it with a resource meter)

When you do nothing on your computer, CPU use should show between 1 and 20%. If it shows more than 35% it means that some program, sometimes unwanted, are running in the background or that some windows process are buggy and take useless resources.

For example my CPU always showed 4~5% when I did nothing, now, a few days later, after messing up with the system it shows 40%...

Now I'll have to reinstall or find the reason for it.

Yes but idle is still idle and its not comparable to newer technologies that can lower vcore and cpu speed in order to use less power (like AMDs cool & quiet).

Try your BIOS for a manual setting of the vCore. Notch it down just a little bit and then check the actual frequency. If your board or BIOS isn't equipped, there's not much more you can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again!

Thank You for helping. I will try CrystalCPUID but other means no success. My motherboard is intel made i865g, so there is no clocking or vcore voltage settings. Of course I can buy some monster Zallmann cooler, but I have more urgent money holes than computer ( for a long time ).

Regards

Arto

Hi Again!

Thank You for helping. I will try CrystalCPUID but other means no success. My motherboard is intel made i865g, so there is no clocking or vcore voltage settings. Of course I can buy some monster Zallmann cooler, but I have more urgent money holes than computer ( for a long time ).

Regards

Arto

If you are unable to alter you bus/clock multiplier or equivalent to AMDs cool and quiet as already mentioned, you could always use (if you are happy messing around with some electronics) the old thermistor/voltage regulator trick to vary fan speed to heatsink temperature. It only requires buying a couple of cheap components. Or even go to the rubbish dump and get a hold of an old p2/3 system for free, put win9x on it, power the cpu fan from your 5volt line and use that for your downloads. It will be really quiet and use next to no power.