I have Pentium IV 2,2 and RAM 512. Should I try Vista? Thanks!

hariskar

Having tried Vista, i realised that it would not run previously used McAfee antivirus software version. Same problem has occurred with other software, not to mention the drivers that needed to be sought, in order to get this system going. :wacko:

last obstacle is the lack of communication with a gameport with a joystick connected. This seems to be a NO-GO.

Best wishes from Denmark

the short answer is no. You can get much of the functionality of Vista on XP with visual styles, TopDesk, and other addons. It'll work in 1GB, but you'll want 2GB. I've heard that it is slower than XP from others and my impression of my test machine is that it is slower, but I have nothing to back that up.

If you do want to try it out go ahead. Put in some more RAM (it's fairly cheap now - I just bought 2GB Corsair XMS2 667 CL4 for ~$70), use a separate hard disk, and give it a whirl.

I've heard that it is slower than XP from others and my impression of my test machine is that it is slower, but I have nothing to back that up.

That is like complaining about the preformance drop when switching from 95 to 98, or from 98 to 2000, or from 2000 to XP, and now from XP to Vista.

Every time you make the switch to the newest OS, there is a preformance drop untill new hardware comes out to offset the differance in preformance.

I am running an AMD 64 4000+ (Stock clocking right now), 2GB G-Skill DDR400, ATI Radeon X1900GT, and 2x160G Seagate Barracudas in Raid 0. My system clocks a 4.2 Windows Index due to the older CPU, but every other setting is 4.9+. My system is able to handle Vista effortlessly, and it's only clocked @ 2.4GHz. Sure he could use a bit more ram, and maybe a new card, but thats not to say that his current system will not run it.

If you'd like to check out how your system stacks up, check out the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx