Good antivirus for XP & Vista

For an AV, I recommend Avast to many people.

As far as firewalls, I would never recommend ZoneAlarm due to the numerous bugs and issues it is plagued with.

OMG please,there are like tones of discussions about av's and firewalls why make new one? please search before posting.

anyway for your xp i recommend you use KAV with Comodo or Outpost.as for your vista im using KIS and i just love the flexibility.

Oh and im looking forward to see comodo 3 beta cause it will be VISTA compatible :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing on the market, that will protect you from everything, all of the time. Here's a "Golden Rule" for you, The first 10,000 - 50,000 people to encounter a new virus, will generally be infected by it. This is (why we have daily updates...) called response time.

You are your own (best) first line of defence ... beyond that whatever you use is probable just fine.

For those that just can't resist opening strange attachments there is (frankly no hope...) always the term Web Cattle I've grown rather fond of.

I use Symantec Corp on XP, but it a bit flakey on Vista so I'm doing a bit of shopping for new options. I'm currently trying to decide between either Panda or MS's Antigen

Symantec is horrific and takes a toll on the resources. Some of the best ones are actually free. Panda doesn't do a very good job at all, though Microsoft's AV is substancially better (better than even Norton and McAfee).

For Vista I would recommend Trend Micro. Initially they did have some compatability issues but they have been resolved. Also CA I know works with Vista. Kaspersky is my standard recomendation, but I have run into problems installing Internet Security 6 on my Vista system.