WoW/Vent/Fraps/Firefox Minimalist

Felyza

Alrighty. I've got my device list, and I want to create a VERY specific kiosk-ish install package for my computer.

I'm looking to have World of Warcraft, Fraps, Ventrilo, Firefox, and ability to update drivers. I don't care about ANYTHING else for this install.

Of course, internet connectivity is an issue, and I connect behind a router, to a cable access provider. The WoW install is going to be on one partition, primary windows install on another partition, and this Kiosk-ish install a 3rd (2 different drives). Ventrilo, fraps, and firefox I would prefer to integrate. (Which, seeing the addons forums, I should be able to handle myself... removing things is the hard part.)

As per devices, minimalist support (AMD processor, Nvidia2 North Bridge, Ethernet, Logitech USB mouse, standard PS2 kybd, ATI graphics card, SATA Raid HDD using a Silicon Image 3112 controller, Soundblaster Live w/ kxAudio drivers) Aside from that, I want to strip EVERYTHING else that does not make those or the basics (that I'm not familiar with, like system clock, agp controller, etc) work.

This install doesn't need DVD, floppy, peripherals other than mouse or keyboard, etc. Driver addition I can handle, as I can provide drivers for specific hardware, however the ATI graphics drivers are kinda sticky. I've extracted the ATI 7.5 package, however there is a lot more than just simple drivers, I'm not sure exactly what is required and what isn't. I intend to use ATI Tray Tools. And of course, latest possible DirectX and OpenGL updates.

Now, I've read a lot about what can and can't be done, however I'm looking to disable alot more than most for this install. As per why, I'd like to get this to a specific game install which makes a minimal ghost image after, that can be ghosted and reinstalled "on a whim", from the primary windows install. I tried vista, but it doesn't game well, but I like some of it's support for other things so intend to keep it for "normal day to day activities" as well as other, less play time consuming games. It handles other games well enough, however I spend most of my time in WoW. I play high end PVP and want to squeeze every last ounce out of my machine. I tried a Linux install, though ran fast, doesn't handle fraps. I intend to convert the linux partition to a very minimalistic xp install.

I don't care about antivirus, antispyware, etc etc, that's the real purpose for the ghosting, and that would all be handled by the primary windows install when not gaming.

That my plan, now, I got the basics of it (including key, disk, etc) what do i kill.

• 8 months later...

There are various reg file tweaks that can be applied to a build once it's been installed.

One thing I would be concerned about is the lack of AV software, obviously WoW is still a highly targeted product and just reinstalling the OS won't save you if it's the WoW installation that's infected (also run the risk of infecting the main partition when you get that up and running).

I hope your not trying to do this in order to increase performance, because WoW is meant to be playable even on 400Mhz computers :) but if that is what your trying to do, the biggest advantage and performance boost in WoW you would get is by switching your hard drives for SSD drives ($900+) which would speed up instance, world map, level loading times by a lot. But than again switch to WIndows XP for boost in slight performance for WoW. AlsoI repeat it is WoW not some high graphic demanding game so any upgarde change other than SSD Drives would not be noticable by humans!

Edited by OliverBGD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

no offense fel but you are a noob tweaker you need to learn all of the other easier tweaks like hardware etc before you get into the os tweaks there are os tweaks you can learn that are basic but what you are talking about is out of your league and is something that no one is just gonna tell you considering all the time they had to put in to get to that level of knowledge

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, try 64bit versions of windows, if you are not using yet. also use windows xp instead of vista for gaming. Adjust your system virtual memory according to your ram. you can do it by system properties->advanced tab->performance

i hope it'll help you.

MP Singh

Need to reach targeted audience in short amount of time? A powerful new way to advertise online! http://www.widecircles.com