smallest xp pro install

overload

I want to creat the smallest xp install possible. I only need minimal features. network, audio, video, dvd. does nlite shrink the install or just the cd? I get an installation of about 700mb from a default install and after deleting driver cache, etc i get about 500mb. if i delete everything i dont use i can get about 280mb or so but then the system is not stable and things dont work because apparently i have deleted registered components or something. i have tried using nlite with various options eliminated but the install does not seem to shrink that much, but the system is much faster and stable. can anyone give some suggestion on how to minimize the xp install or better a ini file for nlite that will give the minimal xp install. if i could start from this i could easily add components back for what i need.

Thanks

This really depends on what your end use will be.

If you could give us some idea of the uses to which you

intend to put it to we might be able to suggest some options.

just the very basics; it needs networking (for file sharing etc, internet is not necessary), play mp3 via winamp, and play dvd (maybe avi as well) via power dvd. and that is about all

This really depends on what your end use will be.

If you could give us some idea of the uses to which you

intend to put it to we might be able to suggest some options.

just the very basics; it needs networking (for file sharing etc, internet is not necessary), play mp3 via winamp, and play dvd (maybe avi as well) via power dvd. and that is about all

File sharing without internet ?

:rolleyes:

File sharing without internet ?

:rolleyes:

what i mean is that is is just for basic tasks, playing music, etc. i use the internet on my main pc. sharing music from my main rig to this one would be convinient but would hardly ever go on the internet.

Have you checked out the MicroWinXP project?

Check it out. It's awesome! (Also, if you'd done a search here on msfn you'd have found the threads...)

Unfortunately the author appears to have shut down that project.

Are there any similar efforts around? What about a repository of proven last_session.ini files?

Have you checked out the MicroWinXP project?

Check it out. It's awesome! (Also, if you'd done a search here on msfn you'd have found the threads...)

Unfortunately the author appears to have shut down that project.

Are there any similar efforts around? What about a repository of proven last_session.ini files?

There appears to have been some 'concerns' over the authorship

of some of the code he was using. I don't know the full details but

it seems that he was being accused of stealing other people's work

and using it without giving them proper credit.

Pretty dumb if true. How difficult is it to say "Thanks to .... for their

contributions" ?