.NET 1.1 install from CD failing with 1602 MSI error

TofuBug

Hello everyone hope someone here can shed some light on a peculiar issue I am having.

I develop the internal software deployment packages for my company (VBS and HTA/HTC) all packages are attempted to be created running in PASSIVE state showing progress but no Cancel, etc if that can't be done for a particular package then that particular package is run in a full QUIET state.

I have a slipstreamed msi for .NET 1.1 Framework including the SP1 and ASP.NET KB update

The slipstreamed MSI is being called in a passive state from a vbscript file with a simple shell.run command below

InstallReturnCode = InstallShell.Run(Chr(34) + FullPath + "\netfx.msi" + chr(34) + " /passive /norestart",1,True)

The vbscript file is being called from an HTA (Part of my in-house home grown LAN installation point Application's Managed Installer GUI which basically handles 1 to many installations collecting reboot/failure/completion flags from each package installed)

now when I run the install package from its normal LAN point through the GUI it installs just fine.

however if I take the exact same thing and burn it to a DVD (the AMI GUI is designed to be location independent and completely portable) when I chose the .NET 1.1 Package from the GUI running from the DVD it runs through part of the install but comes back with a MSI error code 1602 (user canceled the installation)

The current DVD has 23 other software packages installing from the GUI running from the DVD and all of them install without a hitch just like they do on the LAN installation point.

any ideas? :blink: I've had a long week so I’m heading home so if anyone can help let me know (I'm still trying to get my head around how a passive install with no cancel button can be canceled by the user?????? :wacko: )

Cheers,

Ryan Strope

Distributed Services

(Software package development/testing)

Lockheed Martin Systems Integration Owego

(Cyber City Computers)

ryan.strope@lmco.com

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

While I can't answer your query, I can point you to someone who may be able to help you more than most. I'm referring to RogueSpear, who has a website here (forum here) and also does this sort of thing for a living. I don't know how often he checks this forum.

Otherwise, good luck solving your problem, it sounds like quite a puzzle!

You never mentioned whether your company needs .net 1.1. .net3 is the choice now which does .net2 and .net3 programs. Unless the dependency requires 1.1, then I would omit it and just do version 3.0. :)

Try generating a log file of the install. I think the command line option is /Lv C:\dotnetinstall.txt but look here for various options.

MsiExec.exe Command-Line Parameters

I integrated dot net 1.1 and the latest security patch, added the VPModule.msi and compressed everything into a single self extracting executable using 7zip (command line version). I did this some time ago and haven't had any problems running the install off DVD. Here are the notes I name while building the install. Note this works well for dot net 1.1 but I had problems trying to build an admin install for dot net 2.0 using the same process. With .Net 2.0 everything worked and .Net 2.0 installed with all the patches but I got an error trying to uninstall it.

'download dotnetfx.exe

'extract files to C:\Temp\dotnetfx using 7zip

'build admin install

msiexec /a C:\Temp\dotnetfx\netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\Temp\dotnetfxa

'delete dotnetfx folder

rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\dotnetfx

'download NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

'extract patch

md C:\Temp\KB867460

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /Xp:C:\Temp\KB867460

'patch the admin install

msiexec /p C:\Temp\KB867460\S867460.msp C:\Temp\dotnetfxa\netfx.msi

'delete patch

rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\KB867460

' download VPModule.msi {http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DA77B852-DFA0-4631-AAF9-8BCC6C743026&displaylang=en}

copy VPModule.msi C:\Temp\dotnetfxa\

'create a batch file setup.bat

@echo off
pushd "%~dp0"
msiexec /i "netfx.msi" REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /qb
if errorlevel 1 exit 1
msiexec /i "VPModule.msi" REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /qb
if errorlevel 1 exit 1
popd
exit 0

'create C:\Temp\utf-8script.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 with Service Pack 1"
RunProgram="setup.bat"
;!@InstallEnd@!

;copy 7zS.sfx to the C:\Temp folder (part of 7zip)

'compress the whole mess into a single executable using 7zip command line.

pushd C:\Temp\dotnetfxa

7za.exe a -r "..\dotnetfx11.7z" * -m0=BCJ -m1=LZMA:d=25 -ms -mmt

cd ..

copy /y /b 7zS.sfx+utf-8script.txt+dotnetfx11.7z dotnetfx11.exe

popd

You never mentioned whether your company needs .net 1.1. .net3 is the choice now which does .net2 and .net3 programs. Unless the dependency requires 1.1, then I would omit it and just do version 3.0. :)

I wouldn't be waisting my time on 1.1 if they didn't need it a lot of the postal sorting equipment software is dependent on .NET 1.1 as well as most of the DOD support software they develop. While i might agree 2.0 and 3.0 are much nicer and much better to use unfortunately every piece of software no matter how big or small deployed to the corporation has to go through a security and vulnerability review and then it was to go through the same type of review on the site level. To give you and idea how much of a pain in the a** that is we only JUST deployed the 2.0 framework to the corporation last week. so you can imagine how long it will take to get the 3.0 framework out

Cheers,

Ryan Strope

Distributed Services

(Cyber City Computers)

ryan.strope@lmco.com

Try generating a log file of the install. I think the command line option is /Lv C:\dotnetinstall.txt but look here for various options.

MsiExec.exe Command-Line Parameters

I integrated dot net 1.1 and the latest security patch, added the VPModule.msi and compressed everything into a single self extracting executable using 7zip (command line version). I did this some time ago and haven't had any problems running the install off DVD. Here are the notes I name while building the install. Note this works well for dot net 1.1 but I had problems trying to build an admin install for dot net 2.0 using the same process. With .Net 2.0 everything worked and .Net 2.0 installed with all the patches but I got an error trying to uninstall it.

'download dotnetfx.exe

'extract files to C:\Temp\dotnetfx using 7zip

'build admin install

msiexec /a C:\Temp\dotnetfx\netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\Temp\dotnetfxa

'delete dotnetfx folder

rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\dotnetfx

'download NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

'extract patch

md C:\Temp\KB867460

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /Xp:C:\Temp\KB867460

'patch the admin install

msiexec /p C:\Temp\KB867460\S867460.msp C:\Temp\dotnetfxa\netfx.msi

'delete patch

rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\KB867460

' download VPModule.msi {http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DA77B852-DFA0-4631-AAF9-8BCC6C743026&displaylang=en}

copy VPModule.msi C:\Temp\dotnetfxa\

'create a batch file setup.bat

@echo off
pushd "%~dp0"
msiexec /i "netfx.msi" REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /qb
if errorlevel 1 exit 1
msiexec /i "VPModule.msi" REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /qb
if errorlevel 1 exit 1
popd
exit 0

'create C:\Temp\utf-8script.txt

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 with Service Pack 1"
RunProgram="setup.bat"
;!@InstallEnd@!

;copy 7zS.sfx to the C:\Temp folder (part of 7zip)

'compress the whole mess into a single executable using 7zip command line.

pushd C:\Temp\dotnetfxa

7za.exe a -r "..\dotnetfx11.7z" * -m0=BCJ -m1=LZMA:d=25 -ms -mmt

cd ..

copy /y /b 7zS.sfx+utf-8script.txt+dotnetfx11.7z dotnetfx11.exe

popd

And that's the answer i have been getting everywhere i look. you're running it from the CD but your unzipping it to the hard drive before you launch the setup this particular DVD has to be able to launch the setup itself from the DVD the requirements i have are nothing goes down on the local hard drive except the installed software and any modified configuration files needed (ini, xml etc)

When i get into the office on monday i will be attempting to set up a log file to see if i can narrow down what's flagging the 1602

Cheers,

Ryan Strope

Distributed Services

(Cyber City Computers)

ryan.strope@lmco.com

While I can't answer your query, I can point you to someone who may be able to help you more than most. I'm referring to RogueSpear, who has a website here (forum here) and also does this sort of thing for a living. I don't know how often he checks this forum.

Otherwise, good luck solving your problem, it sounds like quite a puzzle!

Thanks for the info I've signed up for his forum just have to wait for ye ole authorization.

Cheers,

Ryan Strope

Distributed Services

(Cyber City Computers)

ryan.strope@lmco.com