how do you compare Vista Codec Package to k-lite mega codecs

hamohd70

the only difference between vista codec pack and k-lite mega codecs is the number of codecs. when i only use vista codec pack in my computer, many movies stored can't be played while there is no problem after installing k-lite mega codecs.

i have always used k-lite mega codecs and it work just fine
If kLite is fine for you I suggest you stick with what works.

Codecs can become quite a problem if you start messing around with them.

Now i want to find out the differences with Vista Codec Package
Both packages are capable of handling almost any file including QuickTime and RealMedia.

I doubt there is any file format that one can handle that the other cant.

So for functionality, they are pretty well equal.

Some obvious differences are:

1. The kLite mega pack is 27MB, the Vista Codec Package is 20MB

2. The kLite installer has about 100 configuration choices to choose from of which have absolutely no meaning to the average user. The Vista Codec Package has 10 choices which can be added or removed and re-added at anytime.

3. After installation, to make changes to kLite's pack, you must remove and re-install the entire package and hopefully by the 47th installation, you get it right.

4. The Vista Codec Package is an 'Out of the Box' solution. Install it, and everything works. No configurations required. With kLite, you will be faced with the situation of needing a different splitter or parser requiring re-installation of the entire package and thats only if you have the knowledge to figure out what you need to install to make it work.

5. The Vista Codec Package detects your operating system and the operating systems default codecs already on the system and installs itself accordingly without messing around with the native codec installations.

which is best and why?
I think for you, kLite is the best choice because that works for you. Why would you change?

I also think that for the average user who isnt familiar with codecs and the issues they can present,

the Vista Codec Package is the definite choice.

the only difference between vista codec pack and k-lite mega codecs is the number of codecs. when i only use vista codec pack in my computer, many movies stored can't be played while there is no problem after installing k-lite mega codecs.
Have you actually tried the Vista Codec Package?

It plays everything I have including all of these formats,

MKV, FLV, MP4, EVO, 3GP, FLAC, APE, AC3, MOV, HDMOV, RM, RMVB, M2P, DIVX (and much more)

and all the usual formats like mpg, mpeg, avi and wmv etc.

It also enables WMP to see all these formats as viable filetypes without associating any files to any player.

Do you have a sample of something it can't play? If so, please upload it to rapidshare.com so it can be tested.

shark

In private messages I was further challenged as to the quality of the Vista Codec Package.

So I give you tangible proof that anyone can verify ...

Here is a mpeg file that neither K-Lite's (june 4 release) or CCCP's (Feb 22 release) can play using the default settings of either those installers. Keep in mind that this is a mpeg file, not some obscure container using strange codecs or obscure filters. For informational purposes, the latest releases of VCP are found at in this thread

Also note that when testing this file, you must turn OFF all internal filters in Media Player Classic to allow the codec packs own filters to do the work, and not have MPC do it for the package.

With the Vista Codec Package, this file plays properly including the 1440x1080 aspect ratio in all versions of Vista as well as WinXP using both Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic with all internal filters turned off.

I'm quite sure the developers of these other packages are capable of modifying their releases to allow this mpeg to play properly but thats not the point is it. The point is, we're talking about a common format failing to play with a default installation.

shark

K-Lite released a new version today with this in the changelog;

Improved support for MPEG TS

I thought for sure the developer had finally fixed that issue of unplayable mpeg files.

But nope, it still cant play the mpeg in the above post.

Here is a quotation taken from the K-Lite homepage following the halt of distributing QT Alternative:

The K-Lite Codec Pack is fully capable of playing .mov files. In fact, HD trailers will play with much better performance with the open-source decoders that are included in KLCP
Exactly how is the CoreAVC codec defined as open-source? (K-Lite uses this codec for H264 and QT content)

Last time I checked out coreavc.com that was a purchased codec with no shareware version.

I have a .hdmov file, Rocky Balboa trailer, which plays the audio, but the video is all shakey using K-Lite.

Of course VCP can play this file just fine.

The inconsistancies in the K-Lite releases just keep on mounting, while VCP just keeps on playing.

:thumbup

shark

1) You are making the assumption that the MPEG container is easy to handle because it is an old format. That is totally untrue. MPEG is one of the most difficult formats to handle correctly. The reason for that is that there are hundreds of different implementations of encoders/decoders/muxers/splitters for MPEG. Some of which don't adhere completely to the MPEG standards.

2) KLCP 3.2.0 (default profile) plays your MPEG sample (with correct AR) in MPC, WMP6.4, ZoomPlayer and BSplayer. And with hardware acceleration.

3) ffdshow is open-source and decodes H.264 better than QuickTime does.

4) VCP illegally distributes parts of QuickTime.

5) ffdshow does not support PAFF interlaced H.264, CoreAVC does.

6) Saying that a decoder A is better than decoder B because B fails on file Y is not really an objective comparison. Certainly not if decoder A fails on file Z, while decoder B does not.

7) KLCP is also an 'out of the box' solution. Having lots of options doesn't change that fact. The majority of people install all their software at default settings.

8) Codec != DirectShow filter

Edited by clsid

1) You are making the assumption that the MPEG container is easy to handle because it is an old format. That is totally untrue. MPEG is one of the most difficult formats to handle correctly. The reason for that is that there are hundreds of different implementations of encoders/decoders/muxers/splitters for MPEG. Some of which don't adhere completely to the MPEG standards.
Nice of you to stop by clsid. Not often we get to chat directly with K-Lites developer. If this were easy, we wouldnt be creating codec packs now would we. Its been my experience that once you get Windows Media Player to play a file, almost anything will play it.
2) KLCP 3.2.0 (default profile) plays your MPEG sample (with correct AR) in MPC, WMP6.4, ZoomPlayer and BSplayer. And with hardware acceleration.
I realize the builtin filters of Media Player Classic can handle this mpeg, but what steps would a K-Lite user have to follow to play it in Windows Media Player? With VCP, the user only needs to doubleclick the file and it plays in WMP9/10/11. Obviously the 1st step to get WMP to play it with KLCP would be to uninstall KLCP because the user used default settings which do not play the file in WMP.
3) ffdshow is open-source and decodes H.264 better than QuickTime does.
This is news? Not to me, I already use it to decode H264 content with VCP.
4) VCP illegally distributes parts of QuickTime.
No, VCP breaks the EULA by redistributing files without acquiring proper permission. This also applies to every other program I redistribute here on MSFN. if a copyright holder contacts me asking I stop redistributing their product, I will stop. Nothing new here.
5) ffdshow does not support PAFF interlaced H.264, CoreAVC does.
This is your explanation for distributing warez?
6) Saying that a decoder A is better than decoder B because B fails on file Y is not really an objective comparison. Certainly not if decoder A fails on file Z, while decoder B does not.
Fair enough. Does this mean you are you offering an mpeg file for testing that plays fine in Windows Media Player using KLCP but VCP can't play it in WMP?
7) KLCP is also an 'out of the box' solution. Having lots of options doesn't change that fact. The majority of people install all their software at default settings.
'Out of the box' means it can play the users files with default settings. I've presented 2 files of different formats that VCP plays 'Out of the box' but KLCP cannot.
8) Codec != DirectShow filter
Thank you for the lesson. Average joe reading this calls everything codecs. I do also to be able to communicate with average joe.

shark

No, VCP breaks the EULA by redistributing files without acquiring proper permission. This also applies to every other program I redistribute here on MSFN. if a copyright holder contacts me asking I stop redistributing their product, I will stop. Nothing new here.
This is your explanation for distributing warez?
I realize the builtin filters of Media Player Classic can handle this mpeg, but what steps would a K-Lite user have to follow to play it in Windows Media Player? With VCP, the user only needs to doubleclick the file and it plays in WMP9/10/11. Obviously the 1st step to get WMP to play it with KLCP would be to uninstall KLCP because the user used default settings which do not play the file in WMP.
It plays fine for me at default settings. Gabest's splitter (same as MPC internal) is used. Perhaps OS/renderer/driver makes it work differently for you.
Fair enough. Does this mean you are you offering an mpeg file for testing that plays fine in Windows Media Player using KLCP but VCP can't play it in WMP?
'Out of the box' means it can play the users files with default settings. I've presented 2 files of different formats that VCP plays 'Out of the box' but KLCP cannot.
There are always files that won't play properly. No matter what selection of filters and codecs is used. That holds for both KLCP and VCP.

Here are some files that don't play properly with VCP 4.3.5 (default settings):

http://rapidshare.com/files/37058987/I263.avi.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/1609924/sample.mp4.html

ffdshow crashes on most files because you used an SSE build. :realmad: So I have no mpeg samples for you atm.

Using libavcodec for MPEG-1 will sometimes cause incorrect AR. Microsofts own decoder works fine.

MP3 Source is already part of DC-Bass Source.

The AAC Parser can cause problems. Furthermore DC-Bass also includes a parser for AAC.

Why include DSM filters? Nobody uses that container format.

Why two source filters for AC3/DTS? It seems you have just takes every single filter made by Gabest and thrown it in. It probably won't do much harm, but it is still pretty pointless.

Edited by clsid

lol, getting a bit frustrated are we...

I263 ? lol at the oldest avi format that my grandmother used.

Revision 1275 - Directory Listing

Modified Mon Jun 11 22:11:20 2007 UTC (2 days ago) by clsid2

Disabled decoding of FourCC "I263" because it does not work properly. Latest FFmpeg doesn't decode it properly either.

VCP version 4.3.5?

come on dude, get with the times.. VCP is at 4.4.5 and plays the MP4 just fine.

EDIT: OK, I'll give you credit on the MP4, it does fail in 445 but plays fine in current Dev Builds.

Because you were so lame to close the topic because of a typo.

I tested 4.4.5 (latest official one), not 4.3.5

Test the mp4 with 4.4.5 and it will fail. Use another version of ffdshow and it will work.

Here is another file:

http://rapidshare.com/files/37063491/80e_1...576i_.mpeg.html

K-Lite (latest 220) doesnt play the file above either with default settings ..whats your point?

Having MPC do the work for you isnt delivering a codec pack, its delivering a player.

Make the file play in Windows Media Player, and then you have a codec pack.

EDIT

don't bother, its obvious you need to use the pirated coreavc codec to make this file even function.

* TOPIC CLOSED *