Need runtime error hotfix

Hi.

I'm in need of a windows 98 hotfix for the following error message concerning Microsoft visual C++..

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information'.

I found an article referring to it at Microsoft support. The error was identical but the article was referring to windows XP. The keyword they quoted was KB884538. But I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Desperate! Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Peter.

Hi pkmusic !

Have you checked for msvcirt.dll in your windows system folder / in the application folder?

If it is version 7.0.2600.2534 then it's likely to be the problem.

However, I don't see how you could have this XP file installed in 98.

Edit: what version of VC++ did you install?

Edited by glocK_94

Thanks for answering. Yes the file msvcirt.dll is definitely there. It's version 6.10.8637.0

The software I'm having the problem with is Reason 2.5. Even a complete reinstall doesn't stop the error.

pkmusic :hello: :

FWIW:

Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0 beta 3:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37455

azagahl:

Does anyone know where these DLL's come from? I didn't get them from SP2.0b3 or 98SE2ME.

msvcirt.dll 6.10.8637.0 6/8/2000 5 PM 77877 bytes

msvcrt.dll 6.10.9844.0 6/19/2003 12 AM 286773 bytes

rpcltccm.dll 4.71.3328 3/29/1999 12 AM 26896 bytes

These are the newest versions as far as I know:

msvcirt.dll = from WinME, installed by 98SE2ME [you can tell by the date/time stamp]

msvcrt.dll = from Win2000 SP4, installed by Gape's Win98SE SP 1.6.2 [for some reason Gape removed it from SP 2.0 betas :(]

rpcltccm.dll = from + installed by MS DCOM98 + by Gape's Win98SE SP 1.6.2 + 2.0 beta 2 + 3 [you can tell by the date/time stamp]

Your application install may not like these newer versions. Mine are all ver 6.0.8972.0 dated 2/17/2004 from Unofficial VS6SP6 installed via Autopatcher from

http://www.mdgx.com/files/VS6SP6U.EXE

Is the application compatible with Win98SE/ME? Nonetheless, try what eidenk suggests.

Thanks eidenk. Dependency Walker was very helpful.

It's telling me the below 6 files are missing. I presume they are all particularly related to the Reason software and are not just windows things. What should I do? I'm having the same problem with two different versions of the software when installing from two totally different cds. Weird.

APPHELP.DLL

USERNV.DLL

REWIREBETA.DLL

REWIREDEBUG.DLL

REX SHARED LIBRARY BETA.DLL

REX SHARED LIBRARY DEBUG.DLL

Submix.:-)

Thank you. Yes I've been using the software for some time and the problem just suddenly started last week.

Is your service pack the same as the one at microsoft? I tried theirs and it didn't help this problem.

P.

Did you (by any chance) uninstall Fruity Loops recently?

If you didn't, just ignore that.

This sounds like missing system files. Did you do a full unistall + reboot /reinstall of Reason?

The Service Pack for 98 is totally unofficial. M$ never released a service pack for this OS. So here's my question: what kind of SP2 did you try?

Edited by glocK_94

Thanks eidenk. Dependency Walker was very helpful.

It's telling me the below 6 files are missing. I presume they are all particularly related to the Reason software and are not just windows things. What should I do? I'm having the same problem with two different versions of the software when installing from two totally different cds. Weird.

APPHELP.DLL

USERNV.DLL

REWIREBETA.DLL

REWIREDEBUG.DLL

REX SHARED LIBRARY BETA.DLL

REX SHARED LIBRARY DEBUG.DLL

Do you get those missing dependencies when just opening the app with Dependency Walker or only when profiling it in it ?

When profiling all that comes missing is not necessarly needed for the software to run without problems. It might just be checking for non-essential dependencies.

Glock: I tried the full service pack. The one that downloads in several parts. And yes I've totally reinstalled the software a few times now, always with the same error on opening.

EidenK: Opening the app came up with just the below two.

APPHELP.DLL

USERNV.DLL

Profiling came up with all the others. So it just may be these two above that I really need? And are they windows files?

Here's a quote from Dependancy walker FAQ (here):

Dependency Walker says I'm missing APPHELP.DLL. Where can I get it from?

APPHELP.DLL is used by Windows XP's application compatibility feature. It is a Windows XP/2003/Vista/+ only DLL. If you see this warning, you most likely installed Internet Explorer 6.0 on your pre- Windows XP computer (Windows 95/98/ME/2000). Internet Explorer 6.0 installs a new SHWAPI.DLL that has a delay-load dependency on APPHELP.DLL. This is normal as SHWAPI.DLL does not expect to find APPHELP.DLL on versions of Windows prior to Windows XP. This warning can be ignored. You do not need (or want) APPHELP.DLL on Windows 95/98/ME/2000.

So that's not where the problem comes from.

And about Usernv.dll... never heard of it. On the net you can find info about UserEREnv.dll only...

Yes, userenv. I spelt it wrong. Anyway it's moot now. The problem is completely solved and it's all thanks to both of you guys and your advice. Thank you.

I easily found the dll files that were missing. I then had to search for rewire.dll. That was the one causing the main problem in the end even though it was present all along. I guess it became corrupt. I found a random link to it in a forum somewhere.

Success! Thanks again. xoxoxoxox

EidenK: Opening the app came up with just the below two.

APPHELP.DLL

USERNV.DLL

Profiling came up with all the others. So it just may be these two above that I really need? And are they windows files?

Those 2 files are specific *only* to NTx OSes: NT4, 2000, XP, 2003 + Vista.

They have nothing to do with 9x OSes: 95, 98 + ME.

This has been discussed here before.

Please perform a search thru these forums for those file names.

HTH [Hope This Helps]