Overclocking my AMD 64 4000+ Sandie.

DysfunktinaL

Alrighty, so, I can't get anyone to help me out on the DIY-Street forums, so I figured I'd try here. Not as many hard core OC'ers, but at least I can get some input.

DFI LanParty[uT] RDX200 XPRESS200 939 (Bios 2005/12/23)

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego

2x1G G-Skill DDR400

Saphire Radeon X1900GT 256MB PCI-E x16

Onboard Karajan Audio

Platinum 160G IDE 7200

2x NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner

AeroCool Turbine Power ATX12V 550W

So far I have it stable @ 2.7G, using 225x12=CPU@1.5, CPU/12=Ram. Screen Shot

I can run Super Pi @ 1M and 32M with no errors and crashes, and my CUP idles @ 42c. I am really trying to see if I can get a stable setup @ 3000MHz with stock cooling, if only long enough to make sure it's stable and run the benchmarks. I don't intend on leaving it there with stock cooling. If anything I'll drop it back to this setting, or swap out for some water cooling.

I can get my CUP up to 2940MHz (245x12) with my mem clock lowered all the way, but if I step it to 246, it gets unstable. I am afraid to put much more juice in it. I even tried 1.55v+104.8%, just to see if I could get it to be stable, but it wouldn't take. Windows will load fully (most of the time), and then show my login screen. But once I clicked my username and started typing in my PW, it would crash. I don't think it's shutting down from the temps, because the second it shuts down, I'll check my temps in the bios, and they are only ~48c. I have my shutdown temp raised all the way to 90c for this project.

So as far as I can see, the best clocking I can get out of my 4000+ is 245x12=2940MHz@1.55v+104.8%, about 60MHz shy of my 3000MHz goal. Anyone have any ideas how I can get another 5MHz into my core so I can get a stable 3000MHz running so I can start working on bringing my ram up to speed?

The RAM was set to 122.5MHz for the bump to 245+. I am just trying to find out the max I can put my CPU to. After that I'll underclock my CPU and find the max of the RAM. It's not a ram issue. G-Skill is widly used by DFI owners and has a really good rep for being good overclocking memory. Right now it's running @ 225MHz with no troubles at all.

And the stock cooler is fine. I'll be getting a better cooler soon though.

That stockcooler can handle 1.7volts with ease.

But I think it´s a RAM problem, try to set de devider so you will have a lower speed.

i just dont think that 1.7v is safe tho.. that just me.

Me either. The highest I have set it to so far is 1.55*1.072=1.66v, but when I realized that it was going to need even more to run past 245 HTT I backed it off and set it back to the last settings I got to work, which is where I am now.

If the RAM is set on 225MHz and you don´t want to go higher then 1.66V with that CPU, then I think 2.9GHz like you have now is the end.

More expensive motherboards have settings for chipset voltage, if you only could get that extra 0.1V on the chipset you could have hit that 3GHz...

DFI boards have all bios options unlocked. I should be able to put in some more voltage for the shipset. I just havn't messed with that yet as I havn't seen it required in any of the guides I've been using.

I was able to hit 3.0 the other night, but it wasn't quite stable. It boots windows, and I can use pretty much every app I launched, but when I ran super pi it would error out past 256k. So I am pretty sure it's just memory settings that I need to work with. I tried loosening the default timeings up a little bit, but it may of not been enough. Right now I am locked in on a stable OC of 2.7GHz. My new hard drives, and CPU cooler will be coming in on Monday, so I'll get back to work on it then.