[Release] Microsoft Windows Live Messenger 2008 v8.5 FINAL

johndoe74

mind sharing ?

btw, messenger plus has been around for ages, i'd guess since the days of messenger 6 (if not earlier), it went live when messenger itself went live

Edited by johndoe74

well upon further search it looks like there were two different types. one involved using the resource hacker and i think replacing the msgsres.dll, the other involved using Messenger Plus! Live and associated skins. i was under the impression that before msn mssgr 8.5 if people wanted to make a news skin they had to reshack the .dll

anyways, my thought was to see if i could extract the source images from that plus! skin i linked earlier and see if i could try the ol' school method of reshacking... however it looks like it would be a huge task to undertake. i found an old tutorial here link and here... and..well lol just too much work i think.

meanwhile during all this i found something called "Open Live" link which supposedly makes skinning easier. however it still requires Messenger Plus! Live 4.60 to use

looks like a dead end for me, unless i want to try to do the resource hack thing :P

i'd guess the msg+live method does the same thing, i.e., reshack the files but only transiently (only in memory rather than on disk) while msg+live is loaded. i had also extracted the skin you linked to but couldn't figure out how to integrate it into messenger. i bet you could reshack the files yourself using the methods given but it will require time - a lot of it :D

• 3 weeks later...

This addon isn`t working for me. Every other addon works but this one isn`t. I see that I`m not alone and I really don`t know why it isn`t working. I even tried putting it to 1st place in all addons but that didn`t change anything. I use Win XP Pro with already integrated SP3. When I extract cab and initiate installation it installs fine. What could be the problem... only thing that is different for my computer from the others is that I install my windows on D partition and I already have another XP Pro installed in C partition.

Can you please try this one and let me know? If it works, I'll replace the one in the first post with this one. Thanks!

Language :: English (United States)

File size :: 15.87 MB (16,643,392 bytes)

MD5 :: 123F11F51E04BEC303462E52D725A101

Main :: Esnips

Can you please try this one and let me know? If it works, I'll replace the one in the first post with this one. Thanks!

Language :: English (United States)

File size :: 15.87 MB (16,643,392 bytes)

MD5 :: 123F11F51E04BEC303462E52D725A101

Main :: Esnips

Thank you, it's working now.

• 1 month later...

The Dutch one doesnt work. It intergrates just fine and stuff but when im in VMware Windows Live Messenger isnt installed at all (when i manual install it from SVCPack it works). But not when im installing XP Pro SP3. Maybee i could use the installer with cmdlines/installtips.

• 1 month later...