Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

sup guys, i have a question. i downloaded a boot skin from wincustomize, but its in a diff format, how do i extract this file so i can get ntoskrnl.exe? im following a guide in the unattended section under cosmetic surgery guide and it requires the ntoskrnl.exe file. or is there another way of doing this with the wincustomize boot skin file?

thanks for the help

hi..

first.. u dont get ntoskrnl.exe from the file.. ntoskrnl.exe is your windows operating system kernel..

& u may not be able 2 get the file from the SKN file (i think thats what format they are in)

Hi everyone. I'm also having troubles with the themes. I use a theme called RedDragon form themexp.org. I modified my uxtheme, disabled WFP and placed the theme in the resourcesmap. Everything is applied, background, icons and sound, but not the msstyle part. Is this an indication that mu uxtheme isn't patched right? I use XP pro sp2 slipstreamed Dutch.

So you guys are talking about customizing teh looks of Windows eh?

Here's a challenge for you:

Find out a way to set the default window size of My Computer/Explorer.

Ive been trying all day yesterday and all day today to get a registry tweak working, but to no avail.

Heres a small hint, the window size is set in the numbered keys at this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

It's the WinPos1280x1024(1).bottom and WinPos1280x1024(1).right i want to be set at a different value.

Since i havent found a way in the registry im thinking its set in the explorer.exe, and since you guys are working on resource hacking some files, i thought you guys would know or have a look in it.

Thanks in advance,

David

Hi everyone. I'm also having troubles with the themes. I use a theme called RedDragon form themexp.org. I modified my uxtheme, disabled WFP and placed the theme in the resourcesmap. Everything is applied, background, icons and sound, but not the msstyle part. Is this an indication that mu uxtheme isn't patched right? I use XP pro sp2 slipstreamed Dutch.

I use the same language windows, same problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the language though, I'm also very sure I used the correct SP2 uxtheme.dll.

Just like you I can use other themes (or make one myself) but it looks like the msstyle part is not working. But the really strange thing about this is that I can use the royale.msstyles from the Biohazard topic here on msn.

Is there anything different using .themes in SP1 and SP2? Anyone?

Thanks

Below a picture of the described effect on a partially working theme.

post-70-1096829990_thumb.jpg

UXtheme.dll is technically language dependant. Perhaps that should be said. BUt unfortunately I don't know how to fix it. Besides you searching the net for the bytes to change for SP2.

The royale theme works because it's an official Microsoft theme (sort of) and doesn't require a hacked UXtheme

mmmhh, I just installed Starskin and that proggie seems to accept the msstyles. Strange, very strange. Still the same question remains;

_ the sp2 uxtheme.dll is correctly patched because starskin DOES show me the visual styles. (tell me if i'm wrong)

_ Standard double clicking or choosing from the pulldown menu as in my previous post does't do the job to it's full extent.

Then what is the difference?

AAAHHH!! Just found the solution;

Seems that Starskin was part of the solution.

Select any theme from within starskin, edit to your likings and THEN go to the standard windows theme selecter. It updated something and the screens are displayed correctly now (no more black screens). Then simply save your custom theme and that one will allways work even without StarSkin and that was the purpose for unattended use.

How to custom my shell32.dll for my unattended cd please?

I've download a pack with few icon and now...

And where can I download hacked shell32.dll for sp2?

I search too recyble bin icon for change it.

Thx

im getting the same problem as lilweirddude and mustov wasted like 20 cds trying to figure out. this is how i have it layed out. can someone recheck what i have and let me know whats wrong? thanks for taking a look

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

AutomaticUpdates=No

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OEMSkipEULA=Yes

OEMPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=*

UnattendSwitch="yes"

WaitForReboot ="No"

Hibernation=No

[GuiUnattended]

AutoLogon = Yes

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=4

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FullName=xxxxxxxxxxxx

OrgName=xxxxxxxx

ComputerName=xxxxxxx

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

YResolution=768

Vrefresh=85

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\Install\start.cmd

%systemdrive%\Install\bootlogo.cmd

[shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile="%Systemroot%\Resources\Themes\b0seClass.theme"

[WindowsFirewall]

Profiles = WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall

[WindowsFirewall.TurnOffFirewall]

Mode = 0

$OEM$ Folders............

$1/Install/ start.cmd, bootlogo.cmd, RegTweaks.reg

$$/System32/oemkrnl.exe

( i renamed the ntoskrnl.exe to oemkrnl.exe i downloaded from themexp)

i have this inside of the bootlogo.cmd...

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

• 3 weeks later...

[VisualStyles]
Path=C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\cbfield\cbfield.msstyles
ColorStyle=NormalColor
Size=NormalSize

now, im not one to question you gurus here but shouldn't tht read:

[VisualStyles]
Path=%WinDir%\resources\themes\cbfield\cbfield.msstyles
ColorStyle=NormalColor
Size=NormalSize