Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

I'm having some problems making the boot screen show up. I used this guide as well as this:

http://board.msfn.org/index.php?showtopic=9421

but neither works. i've tried putting

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcfg /Timeout 0

bootlogo.cmd and this in winnt.sif:

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\bootlogo.cmd (with the cmd in the install folder next to start.cmd)

and i've tried

[GuiRunOnce]

bootlogo.cmd

as said in the 1st post, but neither works. a box pops up and says bootlogo.cmd can't be found.

am i doing something wrong?

i put the oemkrnl.exe in:

\XPCD\$OEM$\$$\System32\

as described. i still boot with the same old boot screen as b4.

:}:no::realmad::wacko:

Why do I see a double post?

I should point out, as in your other thread, the kernel really does matter. If you have a hyperthread processor, you must use the hyperthread kernel (it's ntoskrnl.exe in your normal install). There is a guide here (check threads of interest) on how to edit the kernel, but if there isn't, just do a simple search at themexp.org (the How to make section) or search at google.

Not sure if this would be an exceptable place for this or not, but I asked what the CD names for Windows XP was for SP-2 and I finally got a reply, Jotnar answered with a link to a txt file that includes all of the cd names for versions of Windows starting with 3.1 and includes most of them up to Server 2003.

The entire thread can be located here:

XP CD Names

And the link to the txt file is here:

Labels.txt

Thanks goes to Jolnar for this information.

This is good to have handy for when your building your XPCD and want to know what the name of the CD would be once your integrated the newest service pack to it. For cosmetic purposes.

Instead of putting everything into a file called C:\XPCD, you could put it all into a file called C:\VRMPFPP_EN (For XPSP-2) instead. (The "EN" portion of it is a two letter code for the language of your original disk.) Your folder structure would be like this,

C:\VRMPFPP_EN\

$OEM$\

cmpnents\

i386\

etc..

Remember when using CDImage, to substitute all of the instances of "XPCD" for "VRMPFPP_EN" in the IsoCreator*.cmd file. Or whatever version of Windows your doing at the time.

HTH.

If it works let us know how you did it, please.

now it says my ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing. :angry:

i'm pulling out my old sp1 corp and trying this boot thingy using that cd. that way i'll know that this method works. 10 min left

why are you asking if something works?

the method in this thread works.

Combine with my batch code, and it selects which kernel to use. SO edit both (making sure they're the right versions)

No need to replace files in CABs or overwrite the original kernel (for updating issues)

why are you asking if something works?

the method in this thread works.

Combine with my batch code, and it selects which kernel to use. SO edit both (making sure they're the right versions)

No need to replace files in CABs or overwrite the original kernel (for updating issues)

yea, i'm not overwriting anything. i'm using this method. had some probs with corrupt ntfs.sys. gonna try it again now

• 2 weeks later...

Hi boys, i configured the custom wallpaper, this appears in desktop menu to select it but no as default...i have this in my regtweaks:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]

"BackupWallpaper"="c:\\windows\\web\\wallpaper\\cafe.jpg"

"Wallpaper"="c:\\windows\\web\\wallpaper\\cafe.jpg"

Thx, an sorry for my bad english :P

yeah, I am getting the same thing using bootlogo.cmd. On the first reboot I get that error. Not overwriting the old logo, just adding the extra stuff to boot.ini using that cmd file.

I am using SP2, any updates for this?

bootcfg /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1
bootcfg /Timeout 0

That's my file BTW

1. Probably the easiest solution would be to download the uxtheme cab file extract it, and place it in your i386 directory.

Will this uxtheme.dll work with SP2.. I see this file is far smaller than the file I located under system32\. after I have installed SP2. My current uxtheme file now is about double the size... as the one I downloaded here.

If I need to get a specific uxtheme.dll for SP2, can someone tell me where I can download such a patched uxtheme.dll file. I am not programmer so I dont know how to patch such a file myself.

thanks

Hi Guys, I'm a bit new to all this, and this forum. i have successfully managed to create a near fully-working Unattend Windows XP SP2 Disc, on my first go.

Yet I am having troubles with the guide that was posted at the start of the thread, regarding the wallpapers/themes.

I got a theme called Phenom from the site included with the guide. I tried extracting it and putting it in $OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes, extracted and modified the file as shown, but I cannot get this to work at all so far. I'm hoping someone on this board would be kind enough to take a look at the Phenom theme, and perhaps help me out, by showing me how the files should be laid out, files modified, etc. Thanks in advance!

Also tried the thing with the wallpaper with no luck whatsoever, it does not want to change, that I am stumped on, and any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated.

~coolion64