Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

Hi

This is my way "You can reduce the size of theme and wallpaper up to 90% by this method"

---------------------------------START---------------------------------

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[setupHotfixesToRun]

WMP9.EXE

DIRECTX.EXE

FAV.EXE

JS56NEN.EXE /Q:A /R:N

KB822603.EXE /n /q /u /z

KB823182.EXE /n /q /u /z

KB824105.EXE /n /q /u /z

KB824141.EXE /n /q /u /z

MSN.EXE

KB825119.EXE /n /q /u /z

KB828035.EXE /n /q /u /z

MIDEAPL.EXE

MSJAVWU.EXE /Q:A /R:N

NETFW.EXE

Q322011.EXE /n /q /u /z

Q327979.EXE /n /q /u /z

Q330994.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q814995.EXE /n /q /u /z

Q823718.EXE <<----- You can unpack the orignal and pack it again with switch

Q828026.EXE /n /q /u /z

Q828750.EXE /Q:A /R:N

CODEC.EXE

QL.EXE

THEMES.EXE <<------ This the archive "SFX"

TOOLS.EXE

update.EXE /n /q /u /z

WALLPAP.EXE <<------ Do the same with theme except the path

qchain.EXE

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB826939.cat

Step 9:WINNT.SIF

[shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\CoolXP blue.theme"

---------------------------------------END-------------------------------

for me I save 100MB by this way

my orignal theme size was 114MB

the SFX archive size is 14.1MB

*The owner of the web site "www.2mj.com" told me he well keep the pic's only for one week ! :)

Edited by miso1391

there is a major problem with adding hotfixes in the svcpack.inf. I know it's the proper way but after working with a microsft employee for a few weeks on this some other guys in another department told him that they were not really made for it and it will break things that is why I no longer work o nthe hotfix scripts I was doing and also why I just use cmdlines.txt to install everything now. There is nothing wrong with svcpackinf for the other things but cmdlines.txt is easier to use and since the hotfixes are broken I find no need to use svcpack.inf. You will find the last roll up is probably a direct result of the work we were doing when we found out how broke the hotfixes are.

I hope this info helps you all as we found some major problems with it. I did however get some other goodies that work very well but the hotfixes will never slopstream and apply right and they cause other issues.

For instance I hope you all are running a lejit copy of windows beacuse if you aren't in about 6 months to a year you are going to hate life. Well you will hate it if you love windows. This is going to be so bad. If you love windows you will go buy a copy but you will loose all your data on your hard drive. If you are borderline now you will go get linux.

webmedic could you describe you way of bootscreens in more detail?

as for the other method, since there are two main different kernels, one for multiprocessor and one not, how can you do the boot screen change if you don't know which to use on the computer?

how can you put it directly into the i386 folder? to replace the ntoskrnl?

The logon screen is a little different. I *think* that the logon screen is located in a dll file somewhere. But i dont know what one exactly. Im sure when we find out, it'll be as simple as changing the bitmap using reshacker, and throwing it back in your windows drive. Just like the setup screens.

uh....

for logon screen, are you refering to the welcome screen logon screen thats fills the screen? or the classic?

the WinXP style logon with the clickable buttons for users is in logonui.exe

Someone else describing that logon

i'm still interested in hearing about webmedic's bootlogo and about the multiple kernels in winxp and having boot screens

I dont rememebr saying naything about boot logo's specificly. I think I ment more that I would like to use the method gosh was refering to.

But there is also a little app I use now that lets me change boot logos and login screens and it is free. I rather like it. It's something you use after you setup windows though and not as part of the install as gosh was suggesting.

bootcfg /RAW /A / Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1

bootcft /Timeout 0

this should be

bootcfg /RAW "/Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe" /A /ID 1
bootcft /Timeout 0

thats what works on mine anyway. The original didn't work and gave an error

WOW! Finally figured out the problem here. I haven't been able to get this working all along.

Both you guys have a typo. In the second line, bootcft should be bootcfg

Sorry if this ends up being a repost as I just got an error when I tried to post and refreshing the thread didn't display a new message...

Anyway, does anyone know a command I could use with bootcfg to add an entry to boot a logical drive? I'm using this guide to use the NT loader to boot Gentoo and I'm hoping I can avoid messing around with the MBR this way (which I'd have to do if I went with LILO or Grub).