Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

why are you people messing aruond with REPLACING the msgina.dll file when they can easily coexist along side of eachother?

there is a key called GinaDLL in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\WinLogon (close there abouts). Just create the key, and give it the path to your file. Or maybe if it's in system32, it doesn't need a path.....

either way, no overwriting renaming or whatever. Just name you file what ever you want, and tell the key above what to look for.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, i have changed the bootlogo but when i am installing windows, the real bootlogo is shown, after installing windows, my modified bootlogo is shown.

Is posible to change the first bootlogo during the instalation? thanks everybody.

Sorry for my bad english. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What does the resolution for the boot screen have to be in order for it to be usable?

Also Can animated gifs be used in the boot screens?

Where are three dots underneathe the words "Windows XP Professional" ?

And how do they animate them?

Whew!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've been working around to fashioning my XP Pro to look like how I want by editing the .dlls and .exes (i.e. replacing the bitmaps).

However, I cannot find the dll that is used for the LOGOFF. The one that I'm talking about is the one that when you choose, START -> LOGOFF, and a dialog kinda stuff appears and lets you choose whether you want to change the user or just simply logoff.

I would really appreaciate it if someone here new about how to do this.

Sorry if it was discussed earlier but I wasn't able to find it.

Well, didn't find the one that I needed in there but thanx. The one that I need is the background image that appears when the logoff button is selected from Start -> Log off and a dialog appears. <- This dialogs background is the one that I want to edit, but had no luck on finding it.

Does anyone know where it is located?

@RBCC: 640x480 is the res for boot screens

@Vel Straty: Try looking in shell32.dll

Thanks bor3d for putting this together.

Just about to fiddle with the msgina files then im done.

Hi there, I would like to use the method i saw in this thread for changing the boot screen, the only problem is i do not have xp pro, so therefore I do not have bootcfg.exe. Now the question I have is, Alanoll put the bootcfg.exe file for download in that same thread, but I am curious can I actually use that file in home, and if so how do i set it up so that I can use it in home, and if I can set it up to work in home, how do I set it up so it gets automatically installed with and unattended install. Now if I can't use bootcfg.exe at all in home, I saw a post by XPC-001 about him changing the boot.ini file manually using this method:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional Custom Boot Logo" /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Now will this method work with XP Home, and if so will this allow me to have a custom bootscreen by using the oemkrnl.exe method. Now if this does work for home, is there a way I can create a batch file to do this automatically during an unattended install of windows.

Alanoll and XPC-001 I would appreciate your input on these methods.

Thank You

Though I am not sure if this is covered anywhere, you do mention that you can just put the wall paper in the folder $OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper, there is another way that I don't know if everyone is aware of that you can do it.

1. Open your slipstreamed copy of Windows XP SP-2, without any mods, to the i386 folder, and click on the search button atop your explorer window.  Assuming you have set up your searches to be done without the mutt, your window should look similar to the picture below, now just put in "*.bm_, *.jp_" w/o the quotes.  (Yes you need it set up with those checked.)

2. Once you have found all the .bm_ and .jp_ files, copy them to another folder, for this example I will use C:\Pics.

3. Now hit your windows key+r and type in cmd then {ENTER}, (for those of you who use the tweak that puts the CMD command into the rt click menu for each folder you can just use that as well otherwise you'll have to use "cd C:\Pics" (no quotes) to get where you need to be,) then for each individual file, put this in that CMD window: (The following is one example, you have to do the rest individually unless you know of a program which will do them all for you, no *.jp_ and *.bm_ doesn't work!)

extract bliss.jp_

You will get a resulting file for each one of them.  Leave the CMD window at least minimized as you will be needing it again later.

4. Now look in your C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Shared Pictures\Sample Pictures folders, and make a note of all the files there.  These names are the ones you can replace to use for wallpaper, you can also use the bmp's in the C:\Windows directory, but thats if you want to use the smaller ones which are normally tiled.  (Era Win9x type)  Also, make note of all the .jp_ and .bm_ files names in your C:\Pics, as these may have changed when you extracted them, make sure you know what they were named afterwards also.  (There are a few that actually expand out to other names and some that remain named what they are as a .jp_ or .bm_ only to be renamed by the installation later.)

5. Once you have made note of all the ones that are available, you can delete all the *.jp_, *.bm_ as well as the extra pictures from your C:\Pics folder.  Once your done make note of which ones you want to replace, (you can use the desktop property sheet in display properties to assist you in your choices.)  Now make a folder called old inside your C:\Pics folder and move all the ones that your replacing into that folder for now.  Put the ones that your replacing them with into the C:\Pics folder, renaming the new ones to what they are called after the extraction.

6. Go back into the CMD window and put this in for each one: (The bliss example is used below, but you will have to do it for each one yourself.)

makecab /D CompressionType=LZX bliss.jpg bliss.jp_

Now realize that you dont have to do it for the ones which are using the same name they are extracted to, but the ones which change names upon extraction, you must use this format.  (Although not necessarily the compression, but it is reccomended.)  You can use jcarle's Compression Utility for this which should make it go a tad quicker than typing that each time.  For more info on his utility go to jcarle's utility page

7.  Once you have them all done, copy all the *.bm_ and *.jp_ files you just created, into your C:\XPCD\i386 folder.  When you install Windows from that unattended disk, or for that matter from any newly created copy of windows that you include them in, it will install them into their proper places on the hard drive.  Therefore you wont have a need for using the $OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper folder, unless you have others that you would also like to include, that otherwise wont fit into the i386 folder for whatever reason.

8.  Now two options either .zip up the C:\Pics for future ref, or delete it.  Also close your CMD window as well as anything else you dont want open as your done! :w00t:  :whistle:

*EDIT*

*NOTE*

The above isn't taken from any website, I put it in quotes so as to make it easier to read and follow. Also, in the pic below, you may notice that there are files there that aren't part of a regular version Windows XP Professional or Home, they are exclusive to MCE, no I didn't use a copy of the MCE for this, I just automatically make them for both and when I copy them into the i386, I copy all of them, not just the ones for a specific operating system. That why you will see some in mine that aren't in yours, such as AZUL.JP_.

*NOTE*

*EDIT*

post-70-1093246326_thumb.png

and here is what my bootscreen looks like now with all the distortion, i think i should try another kernal, but am not sure on what i should really do,,, every body let me know what you think pls ..

I tried Boot Editor but I still get the same discolored screen.