Giving Your Windows Cosmetic Surgery

What I've done here, (and it even bypasses File Protection) is I've recabbed the necessary files on the CD Copy and replaced them, so that if the FIle Protection DOES happen to come up, it'll just replace the file with the "changed" file that's cabbed on the CD!!! skipped the WHOLE ordeal! :)

• 4 weeks later...

the short answer is yes, but the progress bar on the boot screen can only be moved up and down, not side to side.

If you download the program i linked to a few posts up, its called BootEditor, it should do you. Its really easy to figure out

i have attached an image of some of the icons i have used in some of my editing. this is not all of them. the files i have been able to edit are:

shell32.dll, explorer.exe, msgina.dll, logonui.exe, mshtml.dll, shdocvw.dll, url.dll, iexplore.exe, browselc.dll, mstsc.exe, netshell.dll, wiashext.dll, paint.exe, notepad.dll & notepad.exe.

Can someone tell me why all my programs (i.e MSN Messenger, mIRC, FlashFXP) have these ugly white box's around the item in the toolbar (i.e File, Edit, View, Help)?!?!? They cannot be found on IE or Windows Explorer so i have no clue where they are coming from. It could be this line in my winnt.sif:

[Shell]
   CustomDefaultThemeFile="%systemroot%\Resources\Themes\Longhorn.theme"

Because someone told me that is was because my theme was doing it, and they are semi-right becuase if i re-apply the default Windows XP Theme they go away?!? But if this is true does that mean i can't install a custom theme on my Unattended CD? If anyone can shed some light on this i would appreciate it...

Thanks

webmedic could you describe you way of bootscreens in more detail?

as for the other method, since there are two main different kernels, one for multiprocessor and one not, how can you do the boot screen change if you don't know which to use on the computer?

how can you put it directly into the i386 folder? to replace the ntoskrnl?

use the makecab command

example: makecab ntoskrnl.exe and it will come out like this ntoskrnl.ex_ just drop it in the i386 folder to replace the original one

i renamed my custom boot kernel to oemkrnl.exe and copied it to system32 forlder

the bootcfg command doesnt work for me so i did this to my boot.ini added the /kernel=oemkrnl.exe and it looks like this

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional Custom Boot Logo" /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

i made a duplicate entry in my ini to test my kernal and it works ok

Hey Everyone

I had a problem listed here but found out I was just making a typo in my reg file. So I removed it since it would provide no real help to anyone and just conjest this thread.

Anyways, Id like to thank everyone for the great tips and knowledge you all are sharing. :)

TWILL

Edited by TWILL

webmedic could you describe you way of bootscreens in more detail?

as for the other method, since there are two main different kernels, one for multiprocessor and one not, how can you do the boot screen change if you don't know which to use on the computer?

how can you put it directly into the i386 folder? to replace the ntoskrnl?

use the makecab command

example: makecab ntoskrnl.exe and it will come out like this ntoskrnl.ex_ just drop it in the i386 folder to replace the original one

i renamed my custom boot kernel to oemkrnl.exe and copied it to system32 forlder

the bootcfg command doesnt work for me so i did this to my boot.ini added the /kernel=oemkrnl.exe and it looks like this

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional Custom Boot Logo" /fastdetect /kernel=oemkrnl.exe

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

i made a duplicate entry in my ini to test my kernal and it works ok

oiy, thanks anyway.....but uh.....

yeah. ever notice how old that was???

I have a batch file that does it all for me, regardless of Multi or single processor

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't your kernel file need to be re-checksum'd before adding?

I've never been able to modify a file, recompress, and simply add it back to the cd without adding a checksum - Windows setup halts when it tries to copy the file.