Moving/Deleting folders from C:\ and C:\Windows SVR2K3

Hello,

I am running out of space on a server running 2003.

Is a couple of the large folders are: dllcache, $hf_mig$, Installer

Are any of the above folders safe to move onto another drive.

Also there is a large folder under system32\spool\drivers, can drivers to printers be moved / redirected?

Thanks for any help.

Is a couple of the large folders are: dllcache, $hf_mig$, Installer

Are any of the above folders safe to move onto another drive.

Also there is a large folder under system32\spool\drivers, can drivers to printers be moved / redirected?

don't know about move/redirect BUT, to my knowledge as follows

- dllcache: I think, in Safe Mode, delete contents only, not the folder itself. It will be rebuilt as necessary.

- $hf_mig$: not recommended, these are your updates

- Installer: not recommended, this is what is installed and is needed for uninstalls/optionals/etc. If you have a lot of unnecessary applications installed, Uninstall them.

- printer drivers folder: If you know which printers are actually being used, you could delete excess IF you know what you are doing.

Server 2k3? You must have it on an extremely small HDD to have the need to get rid of stuff. You would be better off "cloning" it to a larger HDD if possible. 2k3 uses a lot of space anyway. I have experienced 8gb on a 10gb partition with just the minimum to run a server (IIS, CD-burning, Firewall, A-V, MS-Word, the 2k3 Install, etc). It's not unlike WinXP Pro...

Edited by submix8c

You can free up some space on the C drive by deleting the updates hidden folders in C:\Windows. They begin with $NtUninstall. Note that if you delete them you will not be able to uninstall the corresponding update(s).

Also check Windows\Temp, Documents & Settings\Local Settings\Temp and Temporary Internet Files, and any abandoned print spool files in Windows\System 32\spool (if you're using the std location).

It is typically a good idea to relocate the print spool folder onto another partition anyways. No sense in allowing a user to fill the root partition with a huge report.

If you move it to another drive you may see a speed benefit. Moving the swap file to another partition will open up some space and if you move it to another drive that may also result in improved performance.