How to add Vista x64 printer driver...

Hi,

Do anyone know if it works to add (not install) Vista x64 printer drivers to an existing Windows 2003 shared printer? one can specify to add additional operating systems on the shared printer on ur Windows 2003 server. One can check the checkbox, for additional operating systems (including x64 WinXP and Win2003) but even if I download a Win2003 x64 driver, extract it and then point the wizard towards that dir, it fails to add the additional driver for it?

How are one supposed to migrate clients from x86 to x64 if we can add those drivers that the x64 clients requires to their print servers?

Thanks!

Easy.

A) Install Vista.

or

B) Wait for Longhorn Server.

And you said how to add x64 driver to an x86 OS. It ISN'T possible. You can install x64 on x64 or x86 on x86.

Edited by asiekierka

I've always found it better to create x86 and x64 drivers to a queue at queue build time, and it's also a very good idea to use the x64 client to create the queue on the x86 server by visiting \\server\printers and adding things there. That always works.

• 8 months later...

had this problem before, but you dont need vista drivers on 2003,

example

hp 4350 x86 is installed on a workstation.

to reconigze by RDP connection i need to install hp4350 x64 drivers on the server, so it will work.

if you have the model, you just need the driver of the printer for x86 2003 installed.