unmountable boot volume

Rjecina

When I start to install Windows XP I recieve this message.

Stop 0x000000ED(0x8673f90,0xC000014F,0X00000000,0X00000000) unmountable_boot_volume

I having trying tu put on this new PC dual boot system and instalation of Windows 98 has been OK, but during installation I have recieved this message:

Setup found compressed volume or a disk-cache ytility on your computer. Quit setup and check your compressed volume with your disk compression software or remove the disk-cache utility.

After that message installation of Windows 98 has been OK without me working anything !

I have lost 5 days without finding solution of my problem. HDD is Seagate 320 GB with 16 MB cache and it is without bad sectors. He is working in ATA 100 mode which is OK.

For me is not possible to enter recovery console of Windows XP so can somebody tell me how to solve that problem or if nothing else if it is possible to kill HDD cache from Bios.

Today I will lower speed of DVD (now is ATA-66) if this is problem.

Microsoft support is not telling how to solve this problem without recovery console of Windows XP so ...

I need help to solve this unmountable_boot_volume !

Can you put your system specs here also.

Is the hard disk SATA or normal IDE?

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread41835.html

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaq...cname=c00035720

I think you should go to Recovery Console. Press R on the first menu that appears, when you insert your Windows XP cd inside.

-Choose the first Windows installation. My guess "1"

-Then you must know your Administrator pasword. Might be blank.

-Type these to the console

chkdsk /r

fixboot

fixmbr

Then restart the machine and try to install again. If you have a SATA hard drive you might have to install SATA drivers also. Press "F6" on the beginning of the installation. You might have a diskette that came with your motherboard / machine.

Or you can just slipstream the Sata drivers to your installation media. But that's a different stroy.

Edited by geezery

Hard disk is IDE.

Processor is E4300

Memory: 512 MB + 512 MB

It is not possible to me to start Recovery Console so chkdsk /r is out of question.

Windows XP installation is from Windows 98 (which has installed OK).

• 8 years later...

I have been experiencing problems with my internet connection for the past one month. I must have caught a virus, because every time I went online the whole network in the office wouldn't work. That used to upset my brother, so for a month I haven't touched my computer. Yesterday my bro left for a few days and I thought to fix the problem on my PC. 

I tried to reformat booting Windows XP from CD, but it didn't work. So I went to the Bios and made sure *Boot from CD* was the first choice. Still it didn't work. I tried to reformat from floppy in Dos. Again I went to my Bios and changed the first option *Boot from Floppy*. Guess what? It didn't work. So I thought to over-write Windows XP on top of the existing OS. That worked. But the old problem persisted. Every time my PC was on, the network collapsed: no computer could access the internet. I am pretty stubborn and don't give up easily. I thought that maybe now I could try and reformat. I went back to the Bios, made some changes, saved, rebooted, and now all I get is an error message. 

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8179BAF8, 0xc0000032, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried to boot in safe mode and I failed. I tried to boot with the last known working settings and I failed. All I get is this error message. 

I looked around the internet for answers, I couldn't find any solution.

How to disable the Bios memory options? To be honest with you I have no clue on where disabling the memory options will bring me, but it's one of the things that comes up with the error message: *Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing*

Where I start from?

Any help is truly appreciated. :hello: 

Thanks tripredacus for your help but the problem still stays after trying everything suggested in that link so, search about it a lot and at last found a perfect trick who fixed my PC.

So, the article says my boot volume got corrupted and it does what I've found at the end 

Here's the command what i use in cmd.

Opened cmd by my windows usb stick, great thing which I've also learned new by the way  ;)

Command 1# – Diskpart

Command 2# – List volume

Command 3# – Exit

Command 4# – D:  (You’re Windows Drive Letter)  

Command 5# – Bootrec /fixmbr

Command 6# – Bootrec /fixboot

Command 7# – Chkdsk  /f    (Try chkdsk /f /r If “Chkdsk /f” command Wont Works)

Command 8# –  Y

After “chkdsk” command completes, just restart my computer and I my problem is solved.  :yes:

Thanks for your help again  :hello:

Edited by Tripredacus
removed url