Isdn - Windows Xp Problem

bjorland

Hi guys

I run Windows XP with SP1a on a AMD Athlon XP 2600+, with a billionton USB ISDN modem. I run DU Meter to show me exactly what is happening to my connection. Now the problem:

When I connect to 128K, I can surf for a while, and suddenly nothing happens, the one line drops and stays on 64K. DU Meter show no incoming traffic. Sometimes the one line will come back and start downloading again, but most of the time nothing happens. I disconnect, re-dial, get the message saying no dial tone. Reboot Windows, reconnect, connect fine.

Now the other thing I have noticed, when you nothing on XP, and let say for instance let Getright download all your files overnight or even anytime, I stay connected. But as soon as I do something on XP, like open a program, a minute or two later, you see the connection drops on DU Meter, and sometimes after that the line disconnects.

Now what the hell can this be? SP1a? I even did a clean install this weekend, problem still exists.

I had this kind well not the same but a similar situation.

When I connect through dial-up dl stuff Its ok.

But as soon as I open many ie windows line disconnects.

I'm thinking there was a line you could add to the extra initialization commands in your modem's setting, but I cant recall it. I'm not using a modem anymore so I dunno :)

I have tried to search for ISDN modem strings, but can't any for my modem.

Something interesting I have found out on my everyday hangout place, that two other guys in the VW Club of South Africa, has the exact same modem as me, and they experience the same problems as me.

Here is the link if anyone wants to go and read:

http://forum.vwclub.co.za/cgi-bin/forum/ik...st=0#entry36038

Now one guy says it must be drivers, which I don't believe is the case, as this problem only started like a month ago, and before that I had no problems. It looks to be our Telephone line provider (TELKOM), and not Windows or the ISPs.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I still have this problem. My landline provider confirmed that there is no problem with my line, and my ISP has also said they have no users experiencing this problem.

Now I have connected to the internet using Window ME, and I can go crazy, surf, type, copy, paste etc, and my connection stays connected. Try doing any of the above mentioned on windows xp, 2000, 2003, the line drops to 0kb/s and stays there. I have to disconnect and re-connect to continue surfing.

Now why would the modem work fine on WinMe, but not on the NT platform?

Sounds like you need to change a few settings in XP because the modem itself has issues with XP. Go over to cablenut.com and run a few tests. They will offer suggestions to change the settings in XP. They also will recommend a different modem if they find that it is incompatiable. I know you are not on cable, but they have conventions for that. I remember dropping the packet size down a bit and it improved things for a while when I was using ISDN.

Give us your modem's manufacture model number if that does not work and we will look furthur into it.