6 Very Useful Suggestions

Guest RonPB

Guest RonPB

Here are a few useful features. Hope you can add them into future versions of nLite!

1. Boot Screen Image - Able to set your Boot Screen image before installing Windows.
  2. Optimized Settings Button - A simple button that sets everything in nLite that is insured that there will be no problems. Such as disabling Messenger service. Small things like that. That way people can strip their XP without having to worry about things like loss of Internet or broken features.
  3. Added description of "not completely perfected" removal of components - I've come across a few settings which have only removed a part or most of it, but not all. Right now, I wish I could remember it to tell you. It will come to me later.
  4. Removing Components with Dependencies with Notification - When disabling a service or component and if it has any dependencies, it should notify the user which dependencies will also be disabled.
  5. Insure Internet Access - In order to do that, have an option under Advanced in the Components screen which would hide services like "Terminal Services", Ethernet drivers, and other components that may affect Internet access.
  6. Link to all Security Updates for XP - This would help loads because there are so many for XP, it would be hard to find them all. On the other hand, there is a freeware program called AutoPatcher XP, but there is no "nLite Addon" for it yet.

Hope you add these features! Love your program! :thumbup

~Ron :D

Edited by RonPB

or you can get some skills.

Seriously, Nlite is not intented for total newbie, you got a brain use it. :rolleyes:

The part about Optimized Settings Button almost make your post look like a joke.

Edited by albator

Guest RonPB

Chill out bro, these are only suggestions. I'm not trying to change the world, just throwing out some ideas. If you don't like them, well, I couldn't care less. But if you give some constructive criticism and include why or why not you like them and what changes you think should be made, that would be a lot more helpful.

~Ron

Edited by RonPB

Unfortunately some people are unable to think clearly. These can be readily

identified by their persistent criticism of other people failing to use their

brain :)

Having said that, he's right about an Optimized Settings Button of that type

having little practical use for most people. There is simply too much variation

in individual requirements.

Mind you, there used to be a commercial application which performed a similar

function for W98. This did not have individual component selections in the way

nLite does but simply gave a number of options - Fat, Maxi, Mini, etc. One of

these was a 'super-stripped' build which usually totalled around 40MB, almost

perfect for single application 'embedded' systems (kiosks etc.).

Perhaps you were thinking of something along these sort of lines. However,

although this is easily achieved by including a number of predefined presets.

The real issue is, as always, how do you determine what to keep and what to

remove. Different people & uses have different requirements.

1. Nah

2. How can I know what is Optimized for you, I guess that feature would bring more flame than anything

3. There is only cases when some files are intentionally left because some service would fail otherwise

4. I want that one as well

5. Whatever you remove it will work if you know how to set it without DHCP, only issue can be with Service disabling but you can enable it after install

6. Nah, don't know if that is even legal, let alone the difficulty of updating, then people would want all languages...

If I may, given for sure that #4 is the real missing thing, as Nuhi himself stated, as I see all other ones as not needed/unuseful, but although maybe posed in the "wrong" ;) way, #2 has it's merits.

Maybe something similar could somehow be implemented WITHOUT bothering Nuhi, that I guess has better/more important things to do, keeping nlite and now vlite working and up to date must be a hell of a work :thumbup , by some cumulative effort.

What if we find a way to "publish" some "pre-made" lastsession.ini files with a few different "levels" of component reduction?

That would be the exact counterpart to the "levels" Silvereyes referred to (by the way the app is obviously 98lite and can still be found on it's homesite: http://www.litepc.com/ ).

What we need is a kind of "standard" facsimile with a list of major functions or group of functions with checkboxes to have an easily readable documentation, easily comparable, to let the user know exactly or however with good approximation what features will have the build with each given lastsession.ini, and thus choose which "level" better reflects his needs, even if no "level" corresponds perfectly to the user "Optimized" ones, it would however be easier to "interpolate" settings between two "levels" rather than starting from scratch.

For example this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85456

could be the "Bare-minimum" level...

What do you think of this?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

terminal services doesn't effect internet connectivity -only terminal services!

there are presets in nlite for component removals, plus only you know what you need

the boot screen thing should never be included because nlite covers so many windows os's, and patching the boot screen can be dangerous, especially as different versions are released with service packs and some hotfixes etc

use ryanvm hotfix pack for hotfixes :)

Chill out bro, these are only suggestions. I'm not trying to change the world, just throwing out some ideas. If you don't like them, well, I couldn't care less. But if you give some constructive criticism and include why or why not you like them and what changes you think should be made, that would be a lot more helpful.

~Ron

Sorry, but I am tired of newcommer like you with 1,2 or 3 post count, who ask for a automatic solution.

It proove that you made no effort and did not read/search previous post on the forum. All your suggestion had been talk about numerous times.

You ask a unique solution for all with a big green button. But nlite is all about customization !

And your sugesion 3,4, and 5 are like asking for a smart software, so you wont have to do the reading, to learn, to get some skills.

This attitude is not helping at all, in my view

Edited by albator

Really, don't you think it's better to appreciate what Nuhi gave us all free, only humbly suggesting a voluntary donation?

That's especially true when you remember the huge number of hours invested into programming nLite, and the complicated job it performs with just a few easy clicks!

I think we'll all agree nLite is a wonderful tool, and it has helped us a LOT, so it's really better to appreciate it. And he supports it and continually improves it little by little. I think Nuhi understands Windows better than a lot of Microsoft software engineers, and we get the benefit of that.

In anything in this life, "perfection" is always a goal on the far horizon. "Perfection" is never truly achieved in anything . . .we never finally get there, to perfection, in anything.