Is diet caffeine-free soda dangerous?

tain

Like many geeks, I sit at a desk most of the day. Many geeks usually have something to drink such as beer, soda, coffee, beer or maybe even water.

I recently found this page where people were discussing how healthy it is to drink 12 cans of diet soda per day. Most of the page seemed to revolve around caffeine, and that isn't really my question is about. I consider caffeine a drug, so I use it appropriately...when I actually need a boost for marathon MSFN posting sessions :)

I drink roughly 2 liters of diet caffeine-free soda per day in different flavors. Why? I like to stay hydrated and I've found that I drink much more liquid if it is tasty instead of plain water. I drank quarts of water per day in the past and haven't noticed any difference in my health since I began drinking so much soda.

I don't pretend that this soda is healthy in any way. I just like that it doesn't contain any calories or caffeine. So I drink lots of it. It does contain some questionable ingredients such as aspartame, sodium benzoate, phosphoric acid and citric acid.

Could I be endangering my health?

I'm not sure about the long-term effects to general health, but it sure does rot the teeth!!!

Have you considered mugs of tea??? MugoTea.gif. Oddly enough, a mug of strong tea is supposed to contain more caffiene than an equivalent amount of coffee!!! confused2.gif

I drink roughly 2 liters of diet caffeine-free soda per day in different flavors. Why? I like to stay hydrated and I've found that I drink much more liquid if it is tasty instead of plain water. I drank quarts of water per day in the past and haven't noticed any difference in my health since I began drinking so much soda.

I don't pretend that this soda is healthy in any way. I just like that it doesn't contain any calories or caffeine. So I drink lots of it. It does contain some questionable ingredients such as aspartame, sodium benzoate, phosphoric acid and citric acid.

Could I be endangering my health?

Yes, because food is a (albeit necessary) poison and especially so when consumed to excess and ill-effects do not usually become obvious until later life. The human body is just not engineered to cope with all the stuff we eat and drink.

I know people who have been taken seriously ill with aspartamine. We often take aspartamine and other super-poisons on board unknowingly when eating out. Don't know about some of the other stuff you mention but I can't see citric acid as being especially harmful but fizzy soda must surely be! (Two liters??!)

Edited by plonkeroo

first off, if you're seriously concerned, ask your doctor...not MSFN.

secondly, i think if caffeine was in your soda it would be the least dangerous of all the ingredients (except for water).

in moderate amounts none of the ingredients should pose a serious health risk, but too much of anything is bad.

soft drinks obtain nearly all of their food energy in the form of refined cane sugar or corn syrup. While the USDA recommended daily allotment (RDA) of added sugars is 10 teaspoons for a 2,000-calorie diet, many soft drinks contain more than this amount. Unless fortified, it also contains little to no vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, or other essential nutrients. Many soft drinks contain food additives such as food colouring, artificial flavouring, emulsifiers, and preservatives

A study from Harvard shows that soft drinks may be responsible for the doubling of obesity in children in the United States over the last 15 years

A large number of soft drinks are acidic and some may have a pH of 3.0 or even lower.[4] Drinking acidic drinks over a long period of time and continuous sipping can therefore erode the tooth enamel.

The phosphoric acid contained in soft drinks displaces calcium from the bones. This can dramatically lower the bone density of the skeleton and can lead to conditions such as osteoperosis and very weak bones

but research has shown that benzoates and ascorbic acid or erythorbic acid can react to produce benzene.

doesnt sound to healthy to me

ok, been here, done this.

between regular soda, and sugar/caffeine free, the regular will be better for you.

if you think i'm wrong, look up side effects of sugar, and then look up side effects or long term effects of Aspartame, Splenda, or you sugar substitute of choice.

Aspartame can cause or at least incrase the chances of cancer.

whats better, cancer, or sugar?

Have you considered mugs of tea??? MugoTea.gif. Oddly enough, a mug of strong tea is supposed to contain more caffiene than an equivalent amount of coffee!!!
No, because I don't like how it tastes and I am trying to avoid that caffeine.
first off, if you're seriously concerned, ask your doctor...not MSFN.
Of course! I think that I might do that now. I was never concerned before I read that referenced web page. Since everyone here thinks I am crazy, I apparently need to make some changes :)
between regular soda, and sugar/caffeine free, the regular will be better for you.

if you think i'm wrong, look up side effects of sugar, and then look up side effects or long term effects of Aspartame, Splenda, or you sugar substitute of choice.

Aspartame can cause or at least incrase the chances of cancer.

whats better, cancer, or sugar?

Can you point me to a source or two for that info?

The sodium in any soft drink will simply (dehydrate you) make you more thirsty which is why it's in there in the first place, to make you drink (and buy...) more of it.

If you really are worried about your health then stick to drinking water, it's been hydrating people just fine for millions of years, and will also help to flush some of your other "sins" out of your system.

If you really are worried about your health then stick to drinking water, it's been hydrating people just fine for millions of years, and will also help to flush some of your other "sins" out of your system.

amen

The sodium in any soft drink will simply (dehydrate you) make you more thirsty which is why it's in there in the first place, to make you drink (and buy...) more of it. If you really are worried about your health then stick to drinking water, it's been hydrating people just fine for millions of years, and will also help to flush some of your other "sins" out of your system.
True but even water has its pitfalls. Tap water is generally full of chemicals and impurities and bottled water perhaps even more so. Water's good but buy a 'Brita' kettle which filters out most of the junk.

Misery, misery ..... :blushing:

water is better than any amount of soda a day...especially for people who really work out.

excersize + water makes the good life.

true :)

i tend to stay away from junk food, i just want to keep healty. i had soda for the first time in over a month yesterday, that was only b/c there was a birtday party at my house and there was lots of left over soda... nonetheless, im back to water :) i have a glass with me right now.

does anyone else agree that almost all junk food should just be taken away? i could care less about the economy. who cares about money when everyone is dying because they are so obese? to me people who would say no to that question are just being selfish.