Windows Messenger 4.7

Hi,

I do not install Windows Messenger, this means it appears as an optional update when I visit http://update.microsoft.com, how can I prevent this happening? Is there a registry tweak floating around? I had quick look (search) but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

laze.

I couldn't find a reg tweak either, the only thing I got to work was just copy the msmsgs.exe via $OEM$, or you could just hide the update and backup the DataStore.edb file. I think that stores the info about updates.

That's an idea.

Copy it to System32, right?

laze.

If your copying the edb file

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb

If your copying the msmsgs

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

I think it would be easier copying the msmsgs file, unsure if the edb file changes with new updates.

If you use RyanVM's update pack this method of copying that particular file may cause a conflict because the updatepack already copies that file to your computer and your copy would negate Ryan's copy.

I'm not sure what purpose Ryan has to copy that but most likely the same sort of thing,

to satisfy WU but for another purpose.

shark

If you use RyanVM's update pack this method of copying that particular file may cause a conflict because the updatepack already copies that file to your computer and your copy would negate Ryan's copy.

I'm not sure what purpose Ryan has to copy that but most likely the same sort of thing,

to satisfy WU but for another purpose.

shark

Hi Shark

Yes I do use Ryan's pack, I haven't noticed any problems in setuperr.log or in normal running. I have msmsgs = Off in my sif file so it wouldn't get installed anyway. The one in Ryan's pack is the same one I use so maybe that's another reason that there do not seem to be any errors.

Yes I do use Ryan's pack, I haven't noticed any problems in setuperr.log or in normal running. I have msmsgs = Off in my sif file so it wouldn't get installed anyway. The one in Ryan's pack is the same one I use so maybe that's another reason that there do not seem to be any errors.
The file is constantly updated. If you MD5 your file against Ryan's, I'm sure it will not be the same. A good option would be on a new RyanVM updated installation, visit WU so Ryan's entries are retained and updated with the new entries that you need.

Then replace Ryan's version with the new one you just created on you uA media.

shark

The file is constantly updated. If you MD5 your file against Ryan's, I'm sure it will not be the same. A good option would be on a new RyanVM updated installation, visit WU so Ryan's entries are retained and updated with the new entries that you need.

Then replace Ryan's version with the new one you just created on you uA media.

shark

Why is the msmsgs file constantly updated?. To obtain the file originally I updated via WU and kept that exe, the hashes are different but the mod date\time is only 4 minutes apart. I think WU only checks for the existance of the correct exe version, when messing & trying to find the reg key to hide the update it kept showing up whilst I deleted each registry entry created and every file that got updated until I was left with the main exe.

I too have 'msmsgs = Off'.

Can I not extract Ryan's pack and use the msmsgs.exe contained? If I plonk it in my $OEM/$$/System32 and copy it to 'C:\Program Files\Messenger\' at the end of RunOnceEx?

laze.

I too have 'msmsgs = Off'.

Can I not extract Ryan's pack and use the msmsgs.exe contained? If I plonk it in my $OEM/$$/System32 and copy it to 'C:\Program Files\Messenger\' at the end of RunOnceEx?

laze.

If you "plonk" it in $OEM$\$Progs\Messenger, Windows setup will copy it there for you.