trying to find a (normal atx) motherboard for my 98se system?

ananda6359

i'm sorry, i know almost nothing about hardware ...

i am upgrading my five-year-old (98se) system and having problems finding a motherboard for it

i need a socket 775 motherboard ...

... with a normal atx form factor

... that will run 98se

... that has an agp slot

... that will let me use a Intel Pentium 4 641 Cedar Mill 3.2GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T processor

... that will let me use WINTEC AMPO 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ram

... that is available online in the u.s.

... that has an okay fsb speed

as long as it meets these qualifications i don't care if it's brand new or not, sata would be nice but not necessary if i can keep my system running

what can i get? i'm lost here and i have no clue what to do

i can't find anything helpful from asrock, all the motherboards that fit this description only sell out-of-country anymore or are micro-atx

is gigabyte better? or somewhere else?

i have never bought a motherboard before

sorry for the hassle

i guess it's only going to get harder and harder to find hardware from now on

thanks for rescuing me ...

Edited by ananda6359

I've read several places on the Internet that you can fit a Micro ATX motherboard in a 'standard' ATX case (you just can't go the opposite route). Can anyone here confirm if that is true or not?

If so, then a Micro ATX motherboard would work for you.

Edited by the xt guy

I've read several places on the Internet that you can fit a Micro ATX motherboard in a 'standard' ATX case (you just can't go the opposite route).

[. . .]

If so, then a Micro ATX motherboard would work for you.

... hmm ... thanks ...

... i'm hoping to be able to find a normal atx motherboard only because of its 5 pci slots vs the micro-atx' 3 (or if lucky 4)

... but if i have to i will use a micro and glad to have the option

though it sucks 'cause i just before posting today shipped back a micro ('accidentally' ordered it not knowing it was a micro) thinking i couldn't use it, may have to order it right back again :blushing:

any hope for a normal atx meeting the rest of my wish list?

just checking ...

... and thanks very, very much for the help

ta

me

thanks so much for all the help

i've never had to do this before, and put myself in for quite a headache

seems most motherboards don't support 98se ... the ones that do don't support my new processor ... and the ones that do support it are micro-atx ... and the only one actually available that matches all my checklist is ...

... the ASRock 775i65G, (micro atx, but i have no choice, and one of the missing pci slots is somewhat made up for by the inclusion of an onboard NIC, and the three remaining slots will hold my soundcard and modem with room to spare if i ever need it)

it'll take a little jousting to get it into my case lining up properly (this is the motherboard i over-hastily RMAd back just yesterday morning), but my computers are never showpieces anyway, they have personality in s***loads and this one will be just the same

a little disheartening to wait a week and put out 25 extra dollars (12 in shipping, 6½ in restock, and another 6 in reshipping) to use the same motherboard i was trying in my case just yesterday morning, but that's my own fault entirely

thanks very, very much for the help

you all are great, and long live msfn9x

ta

me