Vista 64bit Installation with 4Gb RAM

CyberDrac

It has been reported that installations of Vista where 4Gb is installed take dramatically longer than installations where 2Gb are installed, and that post install BSODs are common until a hotfix patch (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us) is applied from Microsoft. Has anyone tried slipstreaming this fix, and if so does it fix the extremely long installation times and allow the machine to boot without a BSOD, or would I have to resort to installing with 2Gb, hotfixing, and then installing the additional 2Gb?

Regards

CD

Other than being a wonderful description of how to integrate hotfixes into a install DVD, I'm not sure where it fits in with the particular situation I find myself in. Are you implying that a hotfix integrated version using this method would work better than a vLite integrated version, and that it wouldn't experience the interminably long install time when 4Gb of memory is installed with a 64bit installation? I have re-read the page at that link a couple of times and am probably being dense at failing to see the connection, could you elaborate?

Regards

CD

I have installed Vista X64 with 4Gb RAM few times and i had zero problems. I used original RETAIL-DVD without any patches. My system: Intel C2D E4300@3GHz, 4 X 1024Mb A-Data DDR2 800, Abit AB9 PRO....

Edited by kepademus

Great to hear it, it seems peculiar that there are so many reports of long install times using 4Gb and subsequent issues, but I'm guessing that it may be mainboard specific issues, although it seems peculiar that a patch was issued without mentioning that it wasn't an issue with all installs. I am awaiting delivery of a new mainboard and am hoping that this will cure related issues relating to speed, maybe it will mean that I won't need patching as well, either way I'm glad to hear that the issue isn't universal.

CD

My HTPC is Vista Ult 32bit with 2GB and my primary rig is Vista Ult 64bit with 4GB ram. The both seem to have installed in a similar time frame. I've installed Vista on each a couple times till probably.