1 Nic 2 Ip?

Coco

Is it possible on a windows XP machine to have more then one IP on a single nic?

Currently i have 6 computers in my home and they all have internet ip's and connect directly to the internet. (Not all computers I mine personnally some belong to brothers or are servers an such).

Now I like this setup but the problem is setting up the LAN to work using this ip's seems to be a big pain in the a** so what i'd really like to be able to do is keep my internet ips but also assign each computer a 192.168.*.* ip just for LAN usuage.

Is this possible to do with only one nic? I know unix can do it but I can't seem to find a way on windows and yet I seem to recall hearing it is possible The only thing I really tried was to install the card a second time but it won't let me do that. :)

If anyone can help i'd greatly appreciate it.

You can assign additional IPs, but I believe the limitation is that they have to be on the same subnet, as they do not allow for any additional settings. Now, that being said, as long as you use an address range with the same subnet mask, you should be fine, as you wont need a default gateway. There are serious problems with this, though. Firewalls won't work well because they can easily be circumvented by spoofing the internal addresses from the outside. I suggest setting up a dedicated computer with 2 NICs, or buying a piece of hardware like the Linksys Router/Firewall box.

Windows XP does not have software built in to create additional IP addresses on one NIC. Server products have this functionality. You would most likely have to purchase another NIC if this is the functionality you would like. There may be 3rd party software but I do not know of any.

I'd go with Wicked's idea: get a router to separate the LAN and the Internet.

Two reasons to do so: Security and Internet Bandwidth. Since most providers in Canada do have a bandwidth cap, I think it may count as Internet traffic even if you're a LAN.

I'd go with Wicked's idea: get a router to separate the LAN and the Internet.

Two reasons to do so: Security and Internet Bandwidth. Since most providers in Canada do have a bandwidth cap, I think it may count as Internet traffic even if you're a LAN.

Nah, lan traffic doesn't count towards internet traffic at all. It would have to go out through to the isp and if it did that then it would of course go much slower then 100mbit/sec. Plus my bandwidth usage would be up into at least 500gigs a month if lan traffic counted. :)

At any rate guys thanks for the help/suggestions i'm giving a few things a try hopefully I can have this fixed up soon. :rolleyes:

You can assign additional IPs, but I believe the limitation is that they have to be on the same subnet, as they do not allow for any additional settings.  Now, that being said, as long as you use an address range with the same subnet mask, you should be fine, as you wont need a default gateway.  There are serious problems with this, though.  Firewalls won't work well because they can easily be circumvented by spoofing the internal addresses from the outside.  I suggest setting up a dedicated computer with 2 NICs, or buying  a piece of hardware like the Linksys Router/Firewall box.

U can have 2 ips on different subnet masks, I set up an ftp at tafe with 2 ips with different subnets, so it would connect to the lan we were building, and the other ip so it would be able to access the proxy, however if u are wishing to share a net connection on the lan, you will need to have some kind of routing. You can set up win2k server or win2k3 server to do routing for you, but it will slow down the performance of the server as it has to perform additional tasks. This is the way to go if u cant afford a router and are not that concerned with performance, however there are more advantages with purchasing a router

XP the ability... Click on TCP/IP Properties and click the Advanced button. Under the IP Settings tab, you will see where you can add IPs, but you are unable to add IPs if you are using DHCP.

You are a little off. This setting is only an alternate setting. If it is unable to use the primary Windows XP will attempt to use these alternate settings. This does not in any way allow you to set multiple IPs on one NIC.

XP the ability... Click on TCP/IP Properties and click the Advanced button. Under the IP Settings tab, you will see where you can add IPs, but you are unable to add IPs if you are using DHCP.

You are a little off. This setting is only an alternate setting. If it is unable to use the primary Windows XP will attempt to use these alternate settings. This does not in any way allow you to set multiple IPs on one NIC.

This is what I thought ....

I do not think it is posible to assign two IP numbers to one NIC card. Or am I wrong?

UI - :)

This is what I thought ....

I do not think it is posible to assign two IP numbers to one NIC card. Or am I wrong?

Actually guys you should look closer as wicked explained it perfectly well and it does work just fine. I now have two ips and my problems are solved.

Do not select the alternate tab instead press the advanced button. On the first screen that comes up you can add additional ip's to the top most box. Like he said if DHCP is enabled you will not be able to add new ip's. Also to disable DHCP you must close that window and then define all the info on the tcp/ip screen manually. If you do that then you can add extra ips. It works 100% for me. No problems.

ALthough I should note i've only looked using winXP Pro. I have no idea if other versions of windows support this. It's been less then 24 hours since i've gotten it working myself. :rolleyes:

Umm i dont think that is true, I am doing my cert 4 in network management, as I said, I built a win2k server at tafe, which was on a different IP range and subnet range to the rest of the tafe network, so I assigned a secondary IP address to the one nic that was in the pc so it could communicate with the tafe network and the proxy, and I was able to get net access working using this configuration...and also see shares and stuff on the tafe network as well as the network we were building...

Umm i dont think that is true, I am doing my cert 4 in network management, as I said, I built a win2k server at tafe, which was on a different IP range and subnet range to the rest of the tafe network, so I assigned a secondary IP address to the one nic that was in the pc so it could communicate with the tafe network and the proxy, and I was able to get net access working using this configuration...and also see shares and stuff on the tafe network as well as the network we were building...

You guys are incredibly right .... I will give this a try .... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback ...

PS: checked in windows 2000, and you can add aditional Ip numbers.