[general] ac adapter noise

pcandpc

Hi,

I am hearing some electrostatic noise from

the ibm laptop ac adapter.

It is the noise you would hear from some

poor radio communication or such when

you hold the adapter close to your hear.

By the way, the adapter is hot, and I suppose

this is normal when it's working, right?

And, is the noise normal too?

Thanks.

Well I don't know much about circuitry, but I am pretty sure that some that should stay relatively cool and quite, SHOULDN'T be making any noise, nor getting very hot. You should replace it before you fry your laptop.

actually all power supplies heat up after time, including in the desktop PC. Laptop power supplies usually heat up if used for long periods (because they dont have any cooling or heat vents usually) and is a normal effect in most power supplies, like the batteries heating up during charging or the laptop heating up on your lapp when being used for longer periods). The other bit is that is is very unlikely a laptop power supply will "fry" the laptop when it over heating becasue they contain current limiting circuitry and fusing so the power supply will fail before the laptop will be damaged .

The noise is a differnt thing. This could be a normal thing (mains frequency is at the ;low end of hearing range) and laptop power supplies are usually switch-mode devices. The only true way to get an ancswer for this is to contact the supplier to ensure there is no know fault with the power supplies issued.