how does Vlite compress .wim files?

alisdair

Nuhi, this ones for you!

when editing the install.wim file (manually mounting it via imagex.exe) the image growns when i save the changes (/unmount /commit) even when i have removed a large amount of files (400mb)

yet when something is removed using your vlite tool the image.wim file decreases?

why is this? have you encorporated a special compression?

Kind regards,

Ali

Edited by alisdair

If you look at the vLite - Apply methods it has under 1. same as you describe, that's just saving changes.

Under 2 is the Rebuilding, that is Export in the imagex.

how are you able to do this? i've tried rebuiding my vlite image using imagex maximum compression (so i can fit a few more thing on cd) and i get an error message about appldata folder or something. here's my code maybe you can tell me what i did wrong?

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /check /scroll /capture D:\mount d:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

Edited by geo411m

how are you able to do this? i've tried rebuiding my vlite image using imagex maximum compression (so i can fit a few more thing on cd) and i get an error message about appldata folder or something. here's my code maybe you can tell me what i did wrong?

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /check /scroll /capture D:\mount d:\install.wim "Windows Vista Ultimate"

^^ what he said! it comes out with an error like described above.

Also, if mount the files copy and paste them and the use the export method you cannot run it throuh vlite as it registers as versio 0.0.0.0.0 (or something along those lines)

im confused - your tool is just brilliant to work round this!

(hello geo411m - Snipers Redemption - aliwithad here!!)

Edited by alisdair

Also, if mount the files copy and paste them and the use the export method you cannot run it throuh vlite as it registers as versio 0.0.0.0.0 (or something along those lines)

im confused - your tool is just brilliant to work round this!

(hello geo411m - Snipers Redemption - aliwithad here!!)

Hey whats up. i believe vlite shows your version as 0.0.0.0.0 or whatever because you removed all install files from your sources folder. aliwithad i see you and i are following the sames steps. :thumbup we'll talk more at Redemption...

nuhi... i saw you were reading this but no answer?

you made the tool so you must know dude!!

seeing as im not "allowed" to decompile your vlite i cant find out for myself, so only you can tell me!

fi you really want to modify and shrink, apply the WIM image to a formatted mounted VMDK partition, do the modifications and then capture it to a new WIM with the same settings as the initial one, or with max compression. This is the way to do it... mounting a WIM for R/W was not invented for major changes and it is very wasteful with compression and storage.

alisdair, I told you how to do it with imagex, it's up to you to read the documentation, I don't use imagex in vlite.

Really??

If 'you don't use' ImageX in vlite, why does vlite request you to install the wim filter (wimfltr.sys) then??? :whistle:

The wim filters presence are solely for the functionality of ImageX...or??

You're always lurking and waiting for my mistake, that's so pathetic.

But I'll answer even though I know you'll just continue provoking.

There is a programming api, wimgapi.dll, which uses it.

You're always lurking and waiting for my mistake, that's so pathetic.

But I'll answer even though I know you'll just continue provoking.

There is a programming api, wimgapi.dll, which uses it.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info, not often you give such useful info like this. :)

.NET and C# certainly makes imaging easier..