Problem with my unattended cd

Hi guys !!

after a lot of hours of reading i finally got my unattended to work great :)

with driverpacks..with wpi etc etc..

but one day i reallized that i if want to install windows OVER the existing installation ..without formating the hard drive..my cd creates a folder WINDOWS.0 for my new windows...and in boot.ini there are 2 versions of windows..i can't understand why is this happening..

my previous unatended cd version was working properly :( ..

any help would be appreciated

Greetings

Maybe is this stupid answer, but maybe you deleted folders such WINNTUPG or WIN9XUPG. Maybe this could affect your installation

Yes those folders are delleted..but they where also on my previous version..which was working ok..

I'm not sure, I'm pretty new with these ... I think that you must have it to make installation over existing XP

Thanks for the suggestions Assymetry :)

But unfortunately this is not the problem i added the two folders as you told me but nothing...still is not installing over an old XP installation..

And as far as i remember those two folders are for upgrading..through win98..

**** it guys..i really can't figyre it out..

• 3 weeks later...

You say you're installing without formatting? So really that's 're-installing'?

When you use a cd to install in that fashion (the old fashioned way :)), Windows notes that a %system% folder already exists. It then gives you the option of choosing an alternate %system% name or wiping the current %system% folder. The latter choice wipes out anything in your Documents and Settings folder. So I would think you need to find a way to rename the current %system% folder (like using BartPE) before initiating the unattended.

Just our of curioustiy, why don't you want to format?