Patching Windows 95 explorer.exe (Dutch)

BenoitRen

I've learned that you can have 256-colour tray icons in Windows 95. Apparently all that is needed is some simple explorer.exe hacking as indicated by this page. It doesn't mention Windows 95C, but that's Windows 95B with USB anyway.

Now, the problem is that my language (Dutch) isn't listed. However, the instructions for the German version talk about an explorer.exe that is exactly the same size as mine. So is it a fair bet that I would have to modify exactly the same values? Is there a way to confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

Get a german version of the executable (from M$ updates or elsewhere).

Go to the mentionned offset and check the ones surrounding. Finally, compare them to your own exe (find the same data).

If you find the same hex data, there's a good chance this is what you have to modify.

Don't know if I was clear?

Dr Hoiby did had some instructions on how to modify the Win98 SE version of Explorer.exe in Dutch but had no info about changing the Dutch Explorer.exe file for Win95. not sure why Dr Hoiby forgot to mention the Dutch versions of Explorer.exe for Win95

It doesn't mention Windows 95C, but that's Windows 95B with USB anyway.

Windows 95C is more than Windows 95B with USB support, it's the first Windows with Internet Explorer integration included.

Bulls***. It only includes IE4 on the CD-ROM, which is an optional install. My Windows 95 is IE-free, and still works fine.

Anyway, I looked at this a couple days ago, and the hex lines on which the values that have to be modified are are identical between the German and Dutch explorer.exe. :)

I haven't modified my explorer.exe yet, as in the end this modification would only affect the only icon that appears in the tray, which is AIM.

Bulls***. It only includes IE4 on the CD-ROM, which is an optional install. My Windows 95 is IE-free, and still works fine.

At least, that was what I was warned about by the makers of 98 Lite.

They claim Windows 95C has Internet Explorer integration.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

My 95 B disc has IE integrated, so theres probably many different distributions.

(The Boot screen says "With Internet Explorer")

Hmmm, at least officially, the first version is C, aka 4.72.XXXX

Reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...49626&st=22

These need to come from an original Windows 95 CDROM; 95a, or

95b -- Windows 95c has integrated IE4 so files from 95c are

not compatible. All three files should have version numbers in

the form 4.00.XXXX (NOT 4.72.XXXX or later) in the file

properties dialog

jaclaz

• 5 months later...
IE3 was shipped with Windows 95B (and 95C) and installed along with everything else. But it wasn't integrated into the system.

I can do a "lite" install of Win95b and Win95c w/out IE3 or IE4. Snoopy81 had instructions of installing OSR2.x lite here. That way, I can cut down on OSR2 setup time.

But back to the original topic, I'm making an attempt to obtain Q172648 hotfix for Dutch Win95 from MS which has explorer.exe v4.00.952 and once I get it, I'll try to patch it up to fix the 256+ colors trayicons problem.

But back to the original topic, I'm making an attempt to obtain Q172648 hotfix for Dutch Win95 from MS which has explorer.exe v4.00.952 and once I get it, I'll try to patch it up to fix the 256+ colors trayicons problem.

Never mind. Continue using the patched explorer.exe 4.00.950 for Dutch Win95 systems. I was told by an MS support rep that the Q172648 explorer.exe v4.00.952 hotfix is not available for Dutch Windows 95.

Edited by erpdude8

Think Win95c simple started internet explorer setup after installation, which could be easily canceled.

Anyone got Explorer 4.0.952 (english) handy? can't find it...

For dutch, replacing the resources of explorer.exe with an 4.095er dutch explorer should do, I don't think they have added additional resources.

As it seems you're still using Windows 95... I'm currently working on extending the "windows 95 shell32.dll" to XP compatibility, by using a replacement shell32.dll which redirects most functions only to the shell95.dll. Works fine when using the Windows 95 explorer on Windows 98, but had not yet tested on Windows 95 itself. (redirects most functions, adds few new functions, includes some assembly from windows 98/me shell, some functions are not implemented yet -> crash; each function access is logged as fwrd/exec/stub/miss with ordinal, name and some stack info). As the shell32.dll is, except Explorer/shell, no core dll file, I think it's pretty compatible (most unnamed functions are still present at same ordinal on Windows XP, so Windows XP added a name to them... or as Microsoft says: "This function is available through Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Windows Server 2003. It might be altered or unavailable in subsequent versions of Windows." - "shell32.dll version 5.0 or later" - "Minimum operating systems: Windows 2000")